website statistics
4 hours ago, Belle said:

@OlympicIRLis it fixed with the host for Open 2024? With my bad memory I can’t even remember who won Open 2024 sadly. 

:GBR won the contest last year. No official confirmation yet but I think @Cinnamon Bun originally showed interest in hosting so we’ll have to wait their final decision. There is no immediate need to confirm right now though :) 

Here are some of the other songs that were part of the Irish national selection final shortlist. I was so close to choosing either of the "Heaven" songs by Cian Ducrot or the one by Niall Horan but in the end went for Picture This.

Picture This - Leftover Love

Cian Ducrot - Heaven

CMAT - Stay For Something Good

Niall Horan - The Show

Gavin James - White Noise

Cian Ducrot ft. Matteo Romano - Part Of Me

Jazzy - Giving Me

Niall Horan - Heaven

CMAT - California

@Olympian1010 this would have been a good entry for the TISC Open last year in California.... "I'm heading to California, don't say I didn't warn you :d)

7 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Fair enough. It's just, that i remember proposing a Sunday final a few editions back and it wasn't accepted for some reason ( could be anything don't remember exactly). It feels like every contest is being run the same way. 

We have had a couple of finals on a Sunday already as chosen by the hosts and even one across 2 days, Saturday and Sunday. Whatever suits the host is all that matters and same goes for how they present it and organise it. I have no input whatsoever but am there to help if they want a hand. 

33 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

This is the biggest take from me too. I know the founding fathers of Totallympics Song Contests are way more traditionalist (and stubborn) than the IOC and FIFA combined :p, but i think it's time to make some changes to the show. Mainly the schedule for the Grand Finale :d

It's evident, that Saturdays aren't the most suitable time for a growing number of people, who are doing lots of other stuff. Switching to Sundays could help free more people, as that is the more traditional rest day for everyone. 

Also, another good idea in my opinion is to split the Finale into 2 parts. Have half the votes on Saturday evening (European time) and the other half on Sunday evening. This way users could choose, which of the 2 days is more suitable for them and we are getting away from the day sessions, when people are more likely to be outside, working, travelling, shopping or doing other things, that they wont do in the evening. The downside to this is the time zone difference for our Asian users and Wanderer. But we could make a special session just for them on Sunday afternoon, which would be Sunday evening for them, or they could be the first to vote on Saturday afternoon etc. 

There needs to be a change, so that more people follow and participate, because having the host submit 20-25 from the 35 nations is a bit underwhelming. 

I honestly don't know what you mean by this and think this is an unfair statement. Every single host can tell you that they have complete control over the scheduling and what days and times they want to host. I always tell the host they have full control to organize as they would like and that it's their show.

24 minutes ago, Vektor said:

@OlympicIRL I have been thinking about a rule change for the Open contest. Or maybe it wouldn't even be a rule change, I just misinterpreted the song eligibility rule. We say that the song must be at least 5 years old. Are we saying this about song itself or the recording? 

What I am saying here is what if a song is more than 5 years old, but the original artist makes a new recording, which isn't more than 5 years old? That's not a cover because it was recorded by the original artist. Can a new recording of an old song be submitted for the Open contest if it was recorded by the original artist? I think a recording like that should be eligible even if it differs from the original version in some way, as it's still an old song, performed by the original artist. 

I doubt that this would be relevant in most, if not all cases, but I just want to clarify it. :)

Hi @Vektor, I'm just going out to the St.Patrick's Day parade but will give this more consideration later when I get home. I think I would be more willing to allow it as long as the song is sung by the same artist as the original and if it doesn't differ too much musically from the original.
Might be a good one to put to a vote after this contest so we have an answer before the next Open edition.

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

10 minutes per jury, which is very generous, leads to 10 hours of voting windows. One hour break at halftime, for example two 15 minute breaks in both halves, and you've got a 12 hour Grand Final, easily in one day :d 

Ok, let’s do it! The sun will never set in the TISC Empire :d.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:32 AM, heywoodu said:

Assuming South Korea enters, how long ago would it be since we've had three (!) new nations? :yikes:  @OlympicIRL

In the end South Korea didn't join us this time, but in answer to your question, TISC Open 2015 was the last time we had 3 debuting nations: Algeria, Moldova and Portugal joined the fold on that occasion.

Significantly though, Albania and Guatemala are our newest debutants since Israel joined back in TISC Annual 2020. It took 4 years to find a new debutant so it's great to have them here :)

Edited by OlympicIRL

58 minutes ago, Erigert said:

Ok then! I read somewhere that you could include remakes of old songs with the condition that the remake song should have been released during 2023. Anyway it's fine! I'm posting another song.

Sorry for the confusion. The rule is that if it is a copy then the original song must also have been released in 2023. This is only a rule for the Annual edition because we want brand new music. For example if a British artist produced a copy of Bohemian Rhapsody, it wouldn’t be eligible for Annual because the song isn’t original. Anyway thanks for understanding and looking forward to your first participation and hopefully the first of many. It’s a fun contest and hope you will get involved in all the fun discussion we have before and especially on the day of the final :) 

4 hours ago, Erigert said:

I confirm that! This is a remake of an old song released in June 2023. The original song didnt include both singers and differs a lot from this one.

Hi @Erigert, welcome to the contest, it is a pleasure to have Albania here for the first time :)

About the song, it must be a brand new (original) song. Since this song was released a few years ago, you will need to choose a different song. We have another contest later in the year (Open contest) where we can choose older songs and you may select this song when that contest is opened. However for this contest, the Annual edition, you must find a new song that was released since Jan 1 2023. I’m sorry about that. Is there another song from 2023 that you can choose?

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Oddly the song itself was released on 30 December 2022, just like it's 'album' (four songs), which seems to have a 2023 copyright (© 2023 Universal International Music B.V.). For what it's worth, it first appeared in the Dutch top-40 in week 6 of 2023, so somewhere in February:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure if it's the organizers who decide about these things, or the Committee, but I'll leave it in the hands of the authorities for now and meanwhile go on the hunt for a plan B. Obviously I'd be happy if it's allowed, but just as obviously I'll accept whichever ruling is made (especially since personally I would understand both allowing it and not allowing it) :p 

You can select the song, we have had similar instances in the past for other nations and it absolutely makes sense that this song should be allowed. There really wasn’t enough time for this song to have been selected for last year’s edition so in my mind it belongs in this year’s edition.

Its also the reason I added the loophole about the album to help get some of these types of songs qualified by a rule. For others we have always used a little discretion. The fact that this song charted in 2023 is another indicator it belongs in this edition :) 

Edited by OlympicIRL

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Just to make sure, there is no loophole that allows a song released on 30 December 2022, right?

I just came to the realization that one of my very favourite songs is from a Dutch artist, of which I had no idea, but is released literally 2 days before the cut-off date :( 

If the song was released in an album in 2023 then it’s eligible. Also if it’s just 2 days before the cut off point we can make a rational decision to allow it. Essentially the song will have become known in 2023 and so it seems right it should be allowed. For the annual contest we will always have this weird situation with songs released at the very end of the year but in reality they became known to their audience throughout the months after that.

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Right, immediately after my previous comment and enthousiasm I read this, oops :p 

Don't think I had ever heard the song, name or name of the singer though, so I'm still glad I got to learn it thanks to TISC :d 

I also was totally unaware of this song until TISC :d 

22 hours ago, Werloc said:

It was the first time that Lithuania has had a lead in TISC after our win nearly a decade ago :lol:

Thank you @justony :wub:

Just checked through my stats. Lithuania led for one round of voting during TISC Open 2020 so it's the first time since then :)