website statistics
Jump to content

Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games


Wanderer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Changes in the format. M Singles final will be a best of 3 sets and M / W Doublesfinals 3rd set will be played like a super tiebreak to 10 points

 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennis-olympics/tennis-mens-olympic-final-to-be-best-of-three-sets-idUSKCN1RF231

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Changes in the format. M Singles final will be a best of 3 sets and M / W Doublesfinals 3rd set will be played like a super tiebreak to 10 points

 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennis-olympics/tennis-mens-olympic-final-to-be-best-of-three-sets-idUSKCN1RF231

 

 

 

As long as it is F4 free I am still fine with it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, hckosice said:

Changes in the format. M Singles final will be a best of 3 sets and M / W Doublesfinals 3rd set will be played like a super tiebreak to 10 points

 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennis-olympics/tennis-mens-olympic-final-to-be-best-of-three-sets-idUSKCN1RF231

 

 

 

This is so stupid. Any place left where we can still watch those epic matches i.e. 5-set monster battles?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

:USA Caroline Dolehide and :ARG Nadia Podoroska will qualify for the women's singles if they are in the top 300 on June 8th, 2020 and there aren't four athletes from :USA or :ARG already qualified.

 

Dolehide will not be selected since there are 29(!) American women ranked ahead of her. Podoroska is the second ranked Argentinian women and will qualify as long as she maintains a top 300 ranking (she is currently 288th).

 

Unfortunately :PAR Veronica Cepede-Royg may now only qualify by ranking. She is currently 153rd and probably needs to climb around 80th to qualify.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, NearPup said:

:USA Caroline Dolehide and :ARG Nadia Podoroska will qualify for the women's singles if they are in the top 300 on June 8th, 2020 and there aren't four athletes from :USA or :ARG already qualified.

 

Dolehide will not be selected since there are 29(!) American women ranked ahead of her. Podoroska is the second ranked Argentinian women and will qualify as long as she maintains a top 300 ranking (she is currently 288th).

 

Unfortunately :PAR Veronica Cepede-Royg may now only qualify by ranking. She is currently 153rd and probably needs to climb around 80th to qualify.

Isn't it still very likely that :PAR Cepede-Royg will qualify via a continental qualification place/quota?

According to the qualification document about reallocations:

2. Continental Qualification places: - Pan American Games, Asian Games or African Games place(s) – reallocated to the next highest placed athlete in the respective tournament (e.g. Asian Games Silver Medallist) who must have a minimum ranking of 300 in the Singles Rankings of 8 June 2020. Should the next athlete be equalplaced with another (e.g. two losing semi-finalists), reallocation will go to the athlete ranked highest on the Singles Rankings of 8 June 2020. If there are no athletes with a minimum ranking of 300, the place will be reallocated to the next highest ranked athlete on the Singles Rankings of 8 June 2020 notwithstanding the continent from which such athlete comes, respecting the maximum number of quota places per NOC.

:USA Dolheide will not qualify, as you have described above, so :USA will not use it's quota here. Let's say :ARG Podoroska stays in top 300 and takes one of the quota places, then it would be a battle between :PAR Cepede-Royg  and :BRA Alves about the second quota place. :PAR Cepede-Royg is currently ranked 153rd and :BRA Alves is currently ranked 334th, so it looks like :PAR will get the second continental quota.

Of course I could have misunderstood this paragraph. 

Edited by wumo26
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, wumo26 said:

Isn't it still very likely that :PAR Cepede-Royg will qualify via a continental qualification place/quota?

According to the qualification document about reallocations:

2. Continental Qualification places: - Pan American Games, Asian Games or African Games place(s) – reallocated to the next highest placed athlete in the respective tournament (e.g. Asian Games Silver Medallist) who must have a minimum ranking of 300 in the Singles Rankings of 8 June 2020. Should the next athlete be equalplaced with another (e.g. two losing semi-finalists), reallocation will go to the athlete ranked highest on the Singles Rankings of 8 June 2020. If there are no athletes with a minimum ranking of 300, the place will be reallocated to the next highest ranked athlete on the Singles Rankings of 8 June 2020 notwithstanding the continent from which such athlete comes, respecting the maximum number of quota places per NOC.

:USA Dolheide will not qualify, as you have described above, so :USA will not use it's quota here. Let's say :ARG Podoroska stays in top 300 and takes one of the quota places, then it would be a battle between :PAR Cepede-Royg  and :BRA Alves about the second quota place. :PAR Cepede-Royg is currently ranked 153rd and :BRA Alves is currently ranked 334th, so it looks like :PAR will get the second continental quota.

Of course I could have misunderstood this paragraph. 

You are correct, I had not realized that continental quotas were re-allocated this way.

 

One small caveat, the Pan-Am games has a bronze medal match so if Alves wins the bronze medal she will be ahead of Cepede-Royg for re-allocation purposes regardless of ranking.

Edited by NearPup
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...