website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

28 minutes ago, hckosice said:

New Caledonia rejects independence from France

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54410059

Of course they do.  Why would they turn down all that lovely French money?

Same reason the Netherlands Antilles voted to remain Dutch.

I did read that the gap between when the UN accepted South Sudan and now, is the longest period in which the UN has gone without admitting a new member. I do believe that Bougainville’s independence will be recognized at some point in the future, but for now, no new members will be admitted. I heard rumors that one of the FSM states and one of the Solomon Islands will hold independence votes from their respective nations too.

Edit: Chuuk’s referendum has been delayed for a third time to 2022, so that vote probably won’t ever happen. The Solomon Islands issue is new, so it’s just a small political spat at the moment.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

33 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I did read that the gap between when the UN accepted South Sudan and now, is the longest period in which the UN has gone without admitting a new member. I do believe that Bougainville’s independence will be recognized at some point in the future, but for now, no new members will be admitted. I heard rumors that one of the FSM states and one of the Solomon Islands will hold independence votes from their respective nations too.

Edit: Chuuk’s referendum has been delayed for a third time to 2022, so that vote probably won’t ever happen. The Solomon Islands issue is new, so it’s just a small political spat at the moment.

What about California if Trump wins and Texas if Biden wins? :p 

I received my official mail-in ballot today. Like always, California has worked to ensure open, easy, and secure voting. All eligible voters at the first deadline to register were sent a mail-in ballot in order to be able to vote safely from home. Voters may cast their mail-in ballots in a multitude of ways. They can mail them in, drop them off at designated location (dropbox), or drop them off at their polling center during the in-person voting period. If you were to make a mistake on your mail-in ballot, you can go to your in-person polling center and have that ballot voided, and then be allowed to vote in person. All registered voters are also given the option of voting in-person if they wish to do so. Of course, you may not submit two ballots. There is no official deadline to register for in-person voting in California. You may register at your polling center on Election Day, or during the preceding election period. 

There are 6 candidates on the ballot in California for President of the United States:

American Independent - Roque “Rocky” De La Fuente Guerra

Democrat - Joe Biden

Green - Howie Hawkins

Libertarian - Jo Jorgensen

Peace and Freedom - Gloria La Riva 

Republican - Donald Trump

There will be 11 propositions on the ballot in California. 5 would be amendments to the California Constitution, the longest constitution in the world.

All Californians will be asked to elect a US House Representative, a State Senator, and a State Assembly Member.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

What about California if Trump wins and Texas if Biden wins? :p 

Good point.

This is from 2016, but it stills feels very relevant after that first debate.

Dutch doctor: "One of the side effects of dexamethasone is strengthening/heightening of your emotions."

Quite clearly, the dude is high as a kite :lol::facepalm: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!