website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

I decided to check out the athletes by their home province/territory.

Sadly no one from Newfoundland & Labrador, Prince Edward Island or any of the territories are competing.

Ontario - 171

British Columbia - 94

Quebec - 58

Alberta - 28

Nova Scotia - 8

Manitoba - 5

Saskatchewan - 3

New Brunswick - 1

Additionally two athletes (Eli Schenkal, fencing and Janine Beckie, football) are listed as other, both have hometowns in the United States.

Overall, BC has the highest amount of athletes relative to its population, even far surpassing Quebec in the overall count despite having about 50% more people.

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Does anyone has a good idea on the form Maude Charron (weightlifting)? According to ESPN5 (the Philipino version of ESPN) she has the best PB of anyone entered in her weight class by 2KG. Is this a gold medal chance we are all sleeping on?

She's absolutely a gold medal possibility. In April she won the Pan American Championship by 6kg against the Colombian athlete who is the top ranked athlete in this weightclass.

Just now, james89 said:

She's absolutely a gold medal possibility. In April she won the Pan American Championship by 6kg against the Colombian athlete who is the top ranked athlete in this weightclass.

Alright, that really snuck up on me (I don't follow weightlifting). I was aware she was a medal possibility due to her qualification ranking but I didn't realize she had a decent shot at gold. Frankly I never expected Canada to ever win gold again in that sport.

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Alright, that really snuck up on me (I don't follow weightlifting). I was aware she was a medal possibility due to her qualification ranking but I didn't realize she had a decent shot at gold. Frankly I never expected Canada to ever win gold again in that sport.

To be fair I only looked into it recently because I realized the same thing. I never expected this either! 

48 minutes ago, NearPup said:

She has entered the competition at 238 kg. The Colombian submitted 240 kg. She will ned to be on her best.