website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News Road to Paris 2024

You can always count on the French to go with something original. I would agree that the front looks “clunky,” but I think these will grow on me over time.

I love the nods to the art-deco movement.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

I love the concept of this. Just wish the design was bit more polished. A circular pieces of iron in the middle might have looked neater. But really nice idea all the same :) 

They wanted to make a map of France by creating a hexagon because France is nicknamed the hexagon.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:17 PM, Benolympique said:

They wanted to make a map of France by creating a hexagon because France is nicknamed the hexagon.

Am I right in thinking that the hexagon has a very specific historical meaning fro sport in France? I vaguely recall a story that a childrens book was published which first described travels around france in terms of the hexagon - and that for many french people it was the first time they had a sense of the size and shape of their country - and this book is strongly linked to the early Tours de France?

25 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Am I right in thinking that the hexagon has a very specific historical meaning fro sport in France? I vaguely recall a story that a childrens book was published which first described travels around france in terms of the hexagon - and that for many french people it was the first time they had a sense of the size and shape of their country - and this book is strongly linked to the early Tours de France?

The "hexagon" is a relative early expression, commonly used only since the 70's. It has this nice technocratic, disembodied, touch... not very 1900 I'd say. BTW, the first Tour de France looked like this. so, if they were to create an hexagonal shape, we can safely state that the creators of the Tour were dead drunk when they did it.

undefined

PS : I believe the book you're referencing is that one , which indeed might have influenced the birth of the Tour de France, but AFAIK has nothing to do with this hexagon thing. 

11 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

The "hexagon" is a relative early expression, commonly used only since the 70's. It has this nice technocratic, disembodied, touch... not very 1900 I'd say. BTW, the first Tour de France looked like this. so, if they were to create an hexagonal shape, we can safely state that the creators of the Tour were dead drunk when they did it.

undefined

PS : I believe the book you're referencing is that one , which indeed might have influenced the birth of the Tour de France, but AFAIK has nothing to do with this hexagon thing. 

Our French Textbooks in school were, as I recalled, called L'Hexegone. Malheureusement, mon francais, c'est encore tres pauvre!

• 3 weeks later...

6 minutes ago, rybak said:

Why would you carry it in a bag ?,while your traveling by train and apparently paying no attention to it, how is that safe at all ?As for mr ''everything is canceled'',maybe he's gone forever from this page,we can all dream. 

Edited by Biathlonfan