website statistics

Totallympics Awards 2023

vinipereira

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Italy’s Davis Cup title?? Really??

All of the Italians probably voted for that moment. 

In general, the “moments of the year” are pretty generic and favor the major sports :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I know we’re at the second stage of voting, but I can’t believe all of us forgot about :SWE Niklas Edin’s spinner against Norway at the Men’s Curling World Championships. 

That beats out all my other sporting moment nominees for sure. 

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

In general, the “moments of the year” are pretty generic and favor the major sports :(

I believe it's not a bad thing the sport moment of the year is from a major sport. These are the sports that most of us watch, the memories that we share. Even if a moment in a smaller sport was exciting for me, as a community these big moments on swimming, athletics, tennis, etc. unite us.

That said, my personal sport moment of the year (MvdP road cycling world championship) isn't nominated. But in the end nothing beats watching that incredible race together with my dad, just like when I was young.

Edited by Jinzha

Thank you once again @vinipereira for the beautiful presentation! I tried not to be too biased with my votes, but no guarantees:whistle:

BEST MALE ATHLETE

for sportsmen in Olympic sports

#1: :USA Noah Lyles
#2: :NED Mathieu van der Poel
#3: :FRA Leon Marchand

BEST FEMALE ATHLETE

for sportswomen in Olympic sports

#1: :KEN Faith Kipyegon
#2: :NED Femke Bol
#3: :AUS Kaylee McKeown

BEST NON-OLYMPIC ATHLETE

for athletes in Non-Olympic sports and disciplines

#1: :JPN Shohei Ohtani (baseball)

BEST PARALYMPIC ATHLETE

for athletes with a disability

#1: :NED Diede de Groot

BEST YOUTH ATHLETE

for athletes up to 18 years old (born after January 1st, 2005) (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :CAN Summer McIntosh
#2: :ALG Kaylia Nemour
#3: :BRA Rayssa Leal

BEST MEN'S TEAM

for national men's teams or groups (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :POL Volleyball team
#2: :JPN Baseball team
#3: :DEN Handball team

BEST WOMEN'S TEAM

for national women's teams or groups (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :AUS Women’s 4x100m freestyle relay
#2: :ESP Football team
#3: :FRA Handball team

BEST DOUBLES/PAIR OR MIXED TEAM

for doubles and pairs or mixed teams and groups (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :BRA Duda/Ana Patricia
#2: :ROU Bodnar/Radis
#3: :ITA Tita/Banti

BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR

for the most improved athlete (aged 19 or over) or national team (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :CHN Qin Haiyang
#2: :USA Jordan Stolz

#3: :BOT Letsile Tebogo

COMEBACK OF THE YEAR

for athletes or national teams who made a comeback performance in 2023 (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :USA Simone Biles
#2: :GBR Katerina Johnson-Thompson

#3: :LTU Ruta Meilutyte

SPORT MOMENT OF THE YEAR

for any sport moment from 2023

#1: :NED Femke Bol redemption in women's 4x400m relay

#2: :AUS Mollie O’Callaghan’s women’s 200m freestyle WR

#3: :ESP Spain wins women's football world cup

TOTALLYMPICS’ STARS AWARD

@Josh for his many helpful and positive contributions in a large variety of sports. 

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

:NED Annemiek van Vleuten for her long and succesful career, her impact on womens cycling and the joy she had in cycling and competing.

Edited by Jinzha

Some athletes retired in 2023 (reported on Athletes Retirements Thread*):

:AUT Ramona Siebenhofer

:AUT Daniela Iraschko-Stolz

:BRA Bruno Schmidt

:CAN Brady Leman

:CAN Atiba Hutchinson

:CAN Patrice Bergeron

:CAN Chris Spring

:COL Robert Farah

:COL Juan Sebastian Cabal

:CUB Reineris Salas

:EST Anett Kontaveit

:FRA Tessa Worley

:GER Vanessa Hinz

:GER Sarah Wellbrock

:GER Natalie Geisenberger

:GBR Ellie Downie

:GBR Gemma Howell

:GBR Mark Cavendish

:ITA Sergio Parisse

:LAT Janis Smedins

:LTU Aurimas Adomavičius

:JPN Sara Dosho

:NED Alistair Overeem

:NED Dafne Schippers

:NED Annemiek Van Vleuten

:NOR Andres Aukland

:NOR Maren Lundby

:NOR Lucas Braathen

:RSA Bridgitte Hartley

:ESP Rafa Nadal

:SUI Martina Fontanive

:SWE Zlatan Ibrahimovic 

:SWE Mikael Ymer

:TPE Tai Tzu-Ying

:USA Nick Goepper

:USA Nicole Vogt

:USA Megan Rapinoe

:USA Alex Deibold

:USA Jack Sock

:USA Emily Stockman

:USA Chris Mazdzer

:USA John Isner

12 hours ago, vinipereira said:

B2023.png

:BRN Akhmed Tazhudinov

WRESTLING

:BOT Letsile Tebogo

ATHLETICS

:CAN Alexandria Loutitt

SKI JUMPING

:CAN Ethan Katzberg

ATHLETICS

:CHN Qin Haiyang

SWIMMING

:USA Jordan Stolz

SPEED SKATING

Dear Lord, how could I oversee Jordan Stolz, the premature reincarnation of Eric Heiden? See? That's why I need to write things down :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, Josh said:

Italy’s Davis Cup title?? Really??

All of the Italians probably voted for that moment. 

That's a matter of opinion of course. As someone who is neither Italian nor a big follower of tennis, I very much find it understandable given the historic value of it. Much more so than for example one of gazillion swimming relays, but that's the thing: other people might value that one more, and that's fine too :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Jinzha said:

I believe it's not a bad thing the sport moment of the year is from a major sport. These are the sports that most of us watch, the memories that we share. Even if a moment in a smaller sport was exciting for me, as a community these big moments on swimming, athletics, tennis, etc. unite us.

That said, my personal sport moment of the year (MvdP road cycling world championship) isn't nominated. But in the end nothing beats watching that incredible race together with my dad, just like when I was young.

Yeah, too bad, definitely one of my all-time highlights in sports. I even decided to wake Bruna up from her post-training nap because I felt this was such a historic moment, she really shouldn't miss it :d 

It is fun to see everyone's opinions though. Plenty of people won't even know this happened, while someone else's sports moments (like the Edin one mentioned) may make me go "Huh?" in return :p