website statistics

Speed Skating ISU World Championships 2023

Totallympics

9 hours ago, dcro said:

Meh, this 10k was strangely uneventful. I fell asleep twice.

Ghiotto's 10k was enough to keep me awake for the whole night if I'd wanted, damn :p 

One of the best examples of why long distances have so much more potential to be awesome than the short distances where it's over before you get into it.

It also helps this was in Heerenveen, and not the rather soulless venues like Calgary and Tomaszow we've seen earlier this season.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

His father is german. Too bad we aren't Italy, otherwise we would have bought him and Germany would be a speed skating powerhouse again. We might have a similar case in swimming in the near future: Kaii Winkler's father is from Germany as well and Kaii might become really good in the 100 free.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

42 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

His father is german. Too bad we aren't Italy, otherwise we would have bought him and Germany would be a speed skating powerhouse again. We might have a similar case in swimming in the near future: Kaii Winkler's father is from Germany as well and Kaii might become really good in the 100 free.

Italy doesnt buy anyone, only some tier 3 athletes come competing for Italy because they find more difficult to make the team in their country. Look at Tokyo medal table, there is only the bronze medal of Conyedo won by a foreign athletes, 1 bronze medal among 40 medals......I think Andy Diaz Is the First very strong athlete that comes to Italy in many years ( After Chamizo 8 or 9 years ago Who married an italian girl). Zane Weir Is completely different, he Is a product of italian system, when he started asking for italian citizenship ( he had an italian grandfather) in 2019, he was a fantastic 19.50 thrower , then he came to Italy, trained in Italy with italian coach and other italian athletes, with italian facilities and became a 22 metres thrower . Many others , especially in athletics, are Born and raised in Italy or came here when they were 5 or 6 years old children, they are more italian than me, I dont think anybody could say that Ovtcharov Is Ukrainian and not German.

Edited by Andry84