website statistics

Diving at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Nickyc707 said:

Not a compelling argument. Looking at the three athletes you refer to from the previous Games it is open to question how many of them are still competing.

The 3m springboard diver will be 34 by the time Paris comes around which is elderly for a diver and he's unlikely to be improving while others will be. The two 10m platform divers you refer to will be 33 and 31 respectively. The latter is also Ukrainian born and it must be open to question whether he will wish to compete for Russia in light of current circumstances.

You're largely pinning your argument on a group of aging divers whose future is questionable.

P.S . Daley hasn't officially retired 

No, your arguments aren't compelling. All of the things you mentioned are completely irrelevant for my point.

1) Maybe them retiring/not competing might have something to do with them knowing that they won't get to compete at the highest level for quite some time ... ?

2) I doesn't matter how old they will be come Paris. I was talking about the current level of competition in diving.

3) Him having been born in Ukraine doesn't matter either. If Russia wouldn't have attacked, they wouldn't be banned and he wouldn't have a problem to compete for them. My whole point was that them being banned (for attacking Ukraine) lead to a lower level of competition ...

Also he didn't seem to have a problem competing for them in 2021, 7 years after Russia originally attacked Ukraine. Maybe he was from eastern Ukraine and identified as russian.

4) Maybe Russia has ten 16 year olds who could have won gold here, we simply don't know where they are currently at. Even if we would know it, it wouldn't really mean much, since noone can seriously believe that them knowing that they won't get to compete at the highest level for quite some time didn't lead to less motivation and therefore worse performances. We can only look at their level before they were banned and when we do that, we will see that they were very competitive in at least 3 events.

I understand that you feel the need to tell yourself that the level hasn't dropped considerably, since you want to believe that GB winning all those medals is a sign of how great their team is. In reality this british team is by no means anything special, which you would understand if you would look at the gap between them and the chinese. The main reason for them winning all those medals is that they are "less shit" than their competitors.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

:CHN :GBR :ITA qualified to the Olympics in the women's 3m synchro. :USA had a their worse dive in the final round, and they narrowly missed out.

I only saw the last dive of the best pairs, therefore I'm only referring to that...and frankly I'm still asking myself how the final effort of GBR could be evaluated 60+ pts and (especially) the last American dive almost 55...it should have gone down to the 3/max 4 scores both for the non-synchro and also for the individual scores of one of the 2 divers

luckily at least the Americans ended up behind :ITA but this whole judging system sucks big time :zip:

:CHN :GBR :ITA qualified to the Olympics in the women's 3m synchro. :USA had a their worse dive in the final round, and they narrowly missed out.

p.s. Pellacani already had a quota place from the European Games

how it works now? the 2nd placed diver in the EGs gets a quota (having the World Champs priority over the Continental Quota?) :mumble:

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

p.s. Pellacani already had a quota place from the European Games

how it works now? the 2nd placed diver in the EGs gets a quota (having the World Champs priority over the Continental Quota?) :mumble:

These are only quotas for the synchro events and are separate from the individual events so this doesn't impact Italy's individual quota

So, didn't realize that Gary Hunt, one of the great cliff diver of all times and a former :GBR competitor, was now competing for :FRA and attempting to go to the Olympics in the men's 10m synchro, hoping to make his Olympic debut at 40.

I believe he's married to a French national and lives in that country.

59 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

No, your arguments aren't compelling. All of the things you mentioned are completely irrelevant for my point.

1) Maybe them retiring/not competing might have something to do with them knowing that they won't get to compete at the highest level for quite some time ... ?

2) I doesn't matter how old they will be come Paris. I was talking about the current level of competition in diving.

3) Him having been born in Ukraine doesn't matter either. If Russia wouldn't have attacked, they wouldn't be banned and he wouldn't have a problem to compete for them. My whole point was that them being banned (for attacking Ukraine) lead to a lower level of competition ...

Also he didn't seem to have a problem competing for them in 2021, 7 years after Russia originally attacked Ukraine. Maybe he was from eastern Ukraine and identified as russian.

4) Maybe Russia has ten 16 year olds who could have won gold here, we simply don't know where they are currently at. Even if we would know it, it wouldn't really mean much, since noone can seriously believe that them knowing that they won't get to compete at the highest level for quite some time didn't lead to less motivation and therefore worse performances. We can only look at their level before they were banned and when we do that, we will see that they were very competitive in at least 3 events.

I understand that you feel the need to tell yourself that the level hasn't dropped considerably, since you want to believe that GB winning all those medals is a sign of how great their team is. In reality this british team is by no means anything special, which you would understand if you would look at the gap between them and the chinese. The main reason for them winning all those medals is that they are "less shit" than their competitors.

I hope you've calmed down after your little rant. I never even mentioned GB but clearly you've got a massive chip on your shoulder. Nor did I say the competition wouldn't he weaker without the Russians competing. All I was arguing with good justification is that the Russians are not as strong as you imply and that all you've offered up to support your argument is a group of aging divers at least some of whom may not even be competing anymore. The current war would not necessarily have anything to do with that since the wear and tear of diving, particularly in the platform events, means that most don't compete beyond thirty. At best they would likely be on a downward curve and unlikely medallists at this level.

16 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

I believe he's married to a French national and lives in that country.

Ya, apparently the main motivation for him getting French citizenship was to make it easier to live in France post-Brexit. He was already living in France for quite a few years.