website statistics

European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, phelps said:

let's say that Light Contact Kickboxing is the least interesting of all the combat sports (it doesn't even have the characteristics that make Olympic Karate somehow exciting despite the lack of true hard hits)...

Less interesting than even solo karate?  :yikes:

28 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Less interesting than even solo karate?  :yikes:

talking of Kumite, obviously...

Kata is not even a sport, it's just the essence of the martial art, but to me it has nothing to do with a sport competition.

6 hours ago, hckošice said:

well not really :p

So, what is light contact kickboxing?

Light contact kickboxing has all the same moves and rules to Full contact kickboxing but can be fought in either a boxing ring or on mats. The rounds are usually either 1.5 or 2 minutes and the contact is controlled in a lighter manner. The best way to describe it is its sort of like a competitive sparring bout. As fighters can feel very nervous in the ring, their punches may naturally be harder than what’s allowed and this is for the referee to intervene and control the contact.

There is no win by knockout and the winner is decided by the referee to who performed the best. If a knockout does happen, the fighter who threw the heavy blow is disqualified.

Wow, that seems like the most awful kind of combat sport to have as actual competition in a big event :lol::facepalm: 

Great for sparring, but since when is 'training' a medal event :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, hckošice said:

I don´t know why, but I still have that feeling this will not work and it will be just geoblocked in Europe. I do not really see why they would let streams available in countries they sold broadcasting rights. that just doesn´t happen.

but let see and pray, however I am quite sceptical and rather do not want to celebrate too early (even if it is clear, that it may be the only option for me to watch the Games :pope:)

Wouldn't be the first time that EBU has streaming online while have broadcasts in different nations

18 minutes ago, Agger said:

Wouldn't be the first time that EBU has streaming online while have broadcasts in different nations

Well, that would be awesome for us obviously if it will work this time too. :d but, I guess we will have to wait until Tuesday´s morning Athletics Div III 1st session resp. Beach Handball morning session to find out if the next 2 weeks will be great :d

9 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Looking at it in more detail.....not much.  We don't get prelims of archery (never ever have, even at London 2012), shooting prelims or the fencing round robin of Modern Pentathlon.  I guess for sports like table tennis, badminton etc there is just one main show court, not every single concurrent match like at the Olympics.  Ditto for the beach sports.  Otherwise, pretty much the lot.

ISB produced live (or delayed) coverage of individual archery elimination rounds (1/32, 1/24) at the last two editions, so that’s the only real “loss” in terms of coverage. 

Broadcast manual says there will be basic streaming coverage of all field-of-play (both boxing rings, four table tennis tables, etc). However, nothing to indicated all of those feeds will be made available.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Bittersweet moment for Irish athlete Sarah Lavin who will be the Irish flagbearer for the European Games.

Her boyfriend and international rally driver Craig Breen was killed just 2 months ago. Heartbreaking for her, I wish her all the best :cry:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-41163361.html

Edited by OlympicIRL

48 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

ISB produced live (or delayed) coverage of individual archery elimination rounds (1/32, 1/24) at the last two editions, so that’s the only real “loss” in terms of coverage. 

Broadcast manual says there will be basic streaming coverage of all field-of-play (both boxing rings, four table tennis tables, etc). However, nothing to indicated all of those feeds will be made available.

Yeah, so probably World Feed comms on just one of each, transmitted to the stream. Then individual nations can add their own comms if :DEN want to cover all their badminton players or whatever.  Also if there is a huge bench-clearing punch-up on the B Court of the beach handball.

Edited by Grassmarket

7 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yeah, so probably World Feed comms on just one of each, transmitted to the stream. Then individual nations can add their own comms if :DEN want to cover all their badminton players or whatever.

According to the broadcast manual, there will only be commentary on athletics, aquatics, and the ceremonies. I think everything else will just be natural sound if the broadcaster hasn’t appointed a commentator. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela