website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

4 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Forget India. 

:NGR :PAK:SAM:TGA All these what do you have to say? 

It's not that qualifications should be easy. Infact all unqualified nations MUST be allowed to send 1 athlete in either speed skating, short track speed skating ,alpine or cross country skiing. Otherwise these games won't improve. 

:PAK qualified a skier.

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Sure, but where is Palau?! I don't see a Micronesian biathlete entered neither!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Forget India. 

It's not that qualifications should be easy. Infact all unqualified nations MUST be allowed to send 1 athlete in either speed skating, short track speed skating ,alpine or cross country skiing. Otherwise these games won't improve. 

I ain’t looking to watch kids kill themselves for the sake of universality.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

So did :HAI:TTO:PHI:THA:RSA (1 in each gender for Thailand and South Africa). Actually @Fly_like_a_don every continent is represented at the games. These games may also be on there way towards record participation in a Winter Olympics. In fact 3/4 NOCs are scheduled to make their Winter Olympic debut.

I agree with your sentiments about giving every country a chance, but in some cases we’d be putting athletes in way to dangerous situations. Plus, some nations just can’t afford to find winter sports (they are very expensive). I think we should actively encourage greater participation, but we should also advocate for athlete safety and well being too.   

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

As we hit the 25 days to go mark, let’s take a look back at the Lillehammer2016 Opening Ceremony! It set the standard for all future YOG Opening Ceremonies in my opinion, and I found it quite enjoyable and youthful. 

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

But not urban enough :facepalm:

It felt it was pretty urban. Open to the public, at the famous ski jump hill. Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding in the ceremony. 

Honestly this is one of my favorite opening ceremonies of all time. It’s unique it that it takes a largely humorous tone throughout the ceremony. It plays to local lore, and even pokes fun at it. The ceremony is almost entirely performed by youth performers. The cauldron is lit by a symbol of next generation leadership. The music and lighting is done very well for an outdoor production. Plus, we get to see many of the sports in the games actually become a part of the ceremony. It’s also not a marathon length ordeal like Rio’s 4 hour extravaganza. Overall, it’s easy to like.

19 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Forget India. 

14 hours ago, intoronto said:

If countries like Pakistan can qualify but not India, it's not the Games that needs to improve. It's India.

Edited by thiago_simoes

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

As we hit the 25 days to go mark, let’s take a look back at the Lillehammer2016 Opening Ceremony! It set the standard for all future YOG Opening Ceremonies in my opinion, and I found it quite enjoyable and youthful. 

Doing text live coverage with the internet breaking all the evening - I was getting really nervous, but somehow managed to do it.

My favorite part: HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra walking in the steps of her father as the Olympic Torch lighter.

My least favorite part: Marit Bjoergen's appearance