website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

Olympic Channel response to my questions about livestreaming:

I would like to direct you to our event page which has more specifics with regard to the live event coverage and schedule information: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/events/detail/lausanne-2020-youth-olympic-games/ This page is where fans and viewers will be able to find all the streams once they go live.

We are live streaming and will offer VOD of all events that OBS is producing. Unfortunately, not all events will be produced. However, all events and disciplines will be covered through highlights, news, stories, etc. [Kindly note that OBS is our sister company and are the host broadcaster for the YOG, but they do not oversee the Olympic Channel.]”

So it doesn’t sound like there will be any streaming or full event replays for events not on the schedule. All the events of the schedule will be covered in their entirety. Also, learned that OBS isn’t the parent company of Olympic Channel (and I now feel like a fool).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Winter Olympics lack anything to be called a proper multi sport event . Nothing is done to improve it either so a Pakistani qualifying and Indian not qualifying doesn't change my view about the games.  Last time Paksitan didn't but that's not the point these games are a thrash so I can miss this multi sport event and won't even feel like I missed bcoz Jan 9 -26 is reserved for Euro handball and I don't want to waste it on such useless events. 

I'm sure someone in Liechtenstein thinks the Summer Olympics are garbage and useless too.

2 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I'm sure someone in Liechtenstein thinks the Summer Olympics are garbage and useless too.

Easy talking for you, you are from a winter sports powerhouse that has like 10 athletes or more at the Winter YOG :raspberry:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Olympic Channel response to my questions about livestreaming:

I would like to direct you to our event page which has more specifics with regard to the live event coverage and schedule information: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/events/detail/lausanne-2020-youth-olympic-games/ This page is where fans and viewers will be able to find all the streams once they go live.

We are live streaming and will offer VOD of all events that OBS is producing. Unfortunately, not all events will be produced. However, all events and disciplines will be covered through highlights, news, stories, etc. [Kindly note that OBS is our sister company and are the host broadcaster for the YOG, but they do not oversee the Olympic Channel.]”

So it doesn’t sound like there will be any streaming or full event replays for events not on the schedule. All the events of the schedule will be covered in their entirety. Also, learned that OBS isn’t the parent company of Olympic Channel (and I now feel like a fool).

Sad fan: "Hello, there's this schedule of live streams and a huge amount of especially core winter sports is missing. The fuck?"

OC: "We've got this page here where you can see the schedule, awesome, huh?!"

Spoiler

k5FUqf1.png

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sad fan: "Hello, there's this schedule of live streams and a huge amount of especially core winter sports is missing. The fuck?"

OC: "We've got this page here where you can see the schedule, awesome, huh?!"

Reveal hidden contents

It’s not the OC’s call though. OBS is the host broadcaster, and ultimately they made the call on what to show. This is actually the first time OBS have been the host broadcaster (at least as a stand alone entity) of the Youth Olympic Games. I don’t know if French of Swiss TV would be allowed to pick up other sports if they wanted to, but I’d imagine they can’t/won’t. 

I will say that the Olympic Channel have always been pleasant. They’ve responded to every request and inquiry I’ve made, and they do generally try to give everyone as much information as possible. They’re honest too. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

30 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Easy talking for you, you are from a winter sports powerhouse that has like 10 athletes or more at the Winter YOG :raspberry:

Closer to 20 I believe...I’m going to post team sizes in the next few days. There’s still some reallocations I need to figure out, as well as additional spreadsheet work and whatnot.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Closer to 20 I believe...I’m going to post team sizes in the next few days. There’s still some reallocations I need to figure out, as well as additional spreadsheet work and whatnot.

That many athletes? I don't follow anything related to winter sports, but it's nice to see young people here in Brazil (or, actually, sons and daughters of Brazilians around the world) are successful in qualifying for the YOG.

There's a push for winter sports in Brazil, though. A training arena for ice sports will be built in São Paulo, so maybe in 20-40 years Brazil can get a medal at the Winter Olympics.

14 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

That many athletes? I don't follow anything related to winter sports, but it's nice to see young people here in Brazil (or, actually, sons and daughters of Brazilians around the world) are successful in qualifying for the YOG.

There's a push for winter sports in Brazil, though. A training arena for ice sports will be built in São Paulo, so maybe in 20-40 years Brazil can get a medal at the Winter Olympics.

The juxtapositions of Brazil have to be some of the craziest things in the world. One city will have an artificial ice rink that serves as a training ground for competitions thousands of miles away, while a small village in the Amazon may still be uncontacted by the “outside” world. Honestly one of the coolest things about Brazil in my opinion. 

Yeah Brazil, Chile, and Argentina have done really well to qualify record participation in a winter event this time around. PanAm Sports really do need to consider bringing the winter games back. We could easily have Figure Skating, Short Track Speed Skating, Curling, Alpine Skiing, Cross Country Skiing, Freestyle Skiing, and Snowboard

29 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

When it's about cross-country (and related biathlon), you can be sure it's only sons and daughters of Brazilians in Brazil...in other words, the entirely average Brazilian :p Or, better: those dominate these sports in Brazil. There do happen to be two young guys - one based in Austria and another in Spain - but they are exceptions in this case.

I find it interesting Brazil has pretty much two winter sports federations: one for snow, one for ice :d I'll refrain on commenting on them in terms of the work :p 

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The juxtapositions of Brazil have to be some of the craziest things in the world. One city will have an artificial ice rink that serves as a training ground for competitions thousands of miles away, while a small village in the Amazon may still be uncontacted by the “outside” world. Honestly one of the coolest things about Brazil in my opinion. 

Yeah Brazil, Chile, and Argentina have done really well to qualify record participation in a winter event this time around. PanAm Sports really do need to consider bringing the winter games back. We could easily have Figure Skating, Short Track Speed Skating, Curling, Alpine Skiing, Cross Country Skiing, Freestyle Skiing, and Snowboard

And biathlon.