website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

48 minutes ago, nenad said:

Not too many I suppose. Maybe the ususal suspects Baltic states. 

I would think that as Ukraine being invaded and in a state of war, Ukrainian parliament would find something smarter to work on rather than this, but who am I to judge. 

Of course not literally every politician can be focused on the defense of the country, there's no sense in that :p 

And yeah, the states being geographically closest to Russia and therefore most threatened by an aggressive neighbour would make sense (like the Baltic states), I don't really see many other countries do the same.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Ukrainian sports minister came out and said Ukraine will be ready to participate in 2024 SOG even if Russians & Belarussians are there. No surprise. I said this few months ago when the topic first surfaced. Nobody is going to boycott the Games anymore, the 1980 and 1984 lessons have been learned. Boycotting the Games for political reasons has been proven to be worthless and only hurt the sporting legacy.

https://english.nv.ua/life/ukraine-is-ready-to-participate-in-2024-olympics-even-if-russian-and-belarusian-athletes-are-admitte-50346149.html

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Ukrainian sports minister came out and said Ukraine will be ready to participate in 2024 SOG even if Russians & Belarussians are there. No surprise. I said this few months ago when the topic first surfaced. Nobody is going to boycott the Games anymore, the 1980 and 1984 lessons have been learned. Boycotting the Games for political reasons has been proven to be worthless and only hurt the sporting legacy.

https://english.nv.ua/life/ukraine-is-ready-to-participate-in-2024-olympics-even-if-russian-and-belarusian-athletes-are-admitte-50346149.html

…and they’ve walked those comments back already. Link: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1139849/ukraine-russia-paris-2024-clarification

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Looks like some politicians forced those comments back but let's be honest, there is no global wave of boycott coming. Ukraine played their hand and nobody will sacrifice their participation for any political gains because there are none to be gained. Moreover it's Ukraine who is reliant on outside help when it comes to military aid and this will still be the case in 2024. So they're in no position for an emotional blackmail when it comes to sport right now.

Let's see if the looming war in Niger changes some of the details but I don't expect EU & USA to help the democracy over there whatsoever. If Wagner group gets involved, it's just another Russian hybrid war scenario where the military aid would be spend on other African countries planning to intervene and revoke the coup.

• 1 month later...

I think it's even more crazy how many Ukrainian athletes were bought by Azerbaijan. These Ukrainians compete for Azerbaijan and win medals for them. They are fully sponsored by the Azeri government and the evil dictator Aliyev. It's the biggest example of sports propaganda!

At the same time, Aliyev is ethnically cleansing Armenians while something similar is happening to Ukrainians by Putin. I think it's really shameful for these Ukrainians to be representing Azerbaijan and supporting the country which is doing the same thing to Armenians that Russia is doing to them :cry:

While we're at it, Turkey illegally invaded Cyprus in 1974, ethnically cleansed the Greek population from the northern part of the island, and still to this day they occupy that part of the island. Thousands of indigenous Greek natives are still missing. The rest still can't go back to their homes almost 50 years later. There were never any sanctions by the IOC and other sports governing bodies back then or today, or ever.

The only thing that happened was that as a reward for invading in 1974, the EBU invited Turkey to make their Eurovision debut in 1975 :rolleyes: (Greece withdrew because of this).

The point is, it would be nice if there is some consistency in people selectively pushing for some countries to be banned but not others.

4 hours ago, Makedonas said:

While we're at it, Turkey illegally invaded Cyprus in 1974, ethnically cleansed the Greek population from the northern part of the island, and still to this day they occupy that part of the island. Thousands of indigenous Greek natives are still missing. The rest still can't go back to their homes almost 50 years later. There were never any sanctions by the IOC and other sports governing bodies back then or today, or ever.

The only thing that happened was that as a reward for invading in 1974, the EBU invited Turkey to make their Eurovision debut in 1975 :rolleyes: (Greece withdrew because of this).

The point is, it would be nice if there is some consistency in people selectively pushing for some countries to be banned but not others.

The international reaction was totally awful in 1974. Politicians are able to find different ways if they do not want to react properly.

In that case they used the fact that the territories were not annexed but a puppet-state was established. We had just the same situation at Donbas in 2014. Two puppet states were established and no proper reaction from the UN and e.t.c. 

In 2014 Russians quickly annexed the Crimea, but it passed through a puppet-state stage too. And a so-called "referendum" to calm down the UN and e t.c.

But in 2022 Russia (the UN Security Council permanent member) started the war as a  a full-scale unprovoked invasion to annex internationally recognized territories of the independent state. They did not leave a chance for diplomats to say: "oр, we are so disturbed - so we will sanction... these newly created puppet-states" (like "DNR", "LNR"). The territories were annexed so they had only two options: keep it quiet or sanction russia. And I think the International Community used the second option mostly because Ukraine forced russians to fail even with that initial international help.

I feel strongly that the defeat of russia will have global consequences. And it will help not only to change the IOC but also to restore justice for another states. Because a lot of local dictatorships use global geopolitics to avoid of proper consequences for their own crimes.

By the way, is "Northern Cyprus" still strictly isolated in sport?