website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

Chelsea star Mykhailo Mudryk is one of 192 sportspeople from Ukraine who have called on French President Emmanuel Macron to ban Russian athletes from the Paris Olympics.

https://www.espn.co.uk/olympics/story/_/id/39271621/ukrainian-athletes-ask-france-ban-russia-2024-olympics

Ukraine are boycotting if it’s not accepted. 

Edited by Orangehair43

• 4 weeks later...

Latvian parliament officially approved an amendment banning its national sports teams from competing against Russia and Belarus as a sign of solidarity with Ukraine.

The amendment to the law on sports prohibits Ice hockey, football, basketball and other national teams from playing against Russia and its ally Belarus, regardless of whether they compete under their own or a neutral flag.

Lawmakers also approved another amendment that prohibits organizers of sports events in Latvia from inviting Russian and Belarusian national teams. The measure was approved by the 100-member parliament with 74 votes, 11 deputies voted against.

If Latvian teams find themselves in a position to compete against Russia or Belarus at the 2024 Paris Olympics, they will be banned from doing so under the new law. Many Latvian athletes also already considered boycotting the Olympics if the Russians were allowed to participate. The reigning Olympic 3x3 basketball champions, who are from Latvia, have said their team will not participate in the Paris Olympics if Russian athletes take part.

translated from SVK Šport.sk website https://sport.aktuality.sk/ostatne-sporty/clanok/tvrdy-zasah-statu-v-postsovietskej-krajine-sportovci-dostali-zakaz-2024020116003584099

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Latvia is playing a dangerous game. The IOC typically doesn't like it when governments interfere with sport governing bodies.

Realistically, this hurts Ostapenko the most since Russia/Belarus in tennis has been mostly unaffected. 

I thought the law only affected national teams, not individual athletes.

Anyone know what's happening with Russia's appeal against the Olympic ban? There's a hearing listed on the CAS schedule for 26th of Jan for ROC vs IOC which I thought would be this appeal but maybe it had to do with Valieva?

50 minutes ago, dullard said:

Anyone know what's happening with Russia's appeal against the Olympic ban? There's a hearing listed on the CAS schedule for 26th of Jan for ROC vs IOC which I thought would be this appeal but maybe it had to do with Valieva?

Maybe that's about their formal membership suspension for claiming sports governance over contested Ukrainian territories?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Maybe that's about their formal membership suspension for claiming sports governance over contested Ukrainian territories?

I think that's probably the same appeal as the Olympic ban appeal. The Valieva hearing wasn't listed at all on the schedule so I guess that ROC vs IOC hearing must have been it given the ban was announced a few days later?