website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Relationships that are actually strained by politics - even more so if in general they're not as different as, say, Trump vs Biden/Saunders/whatever - can be seen as relationships of a doubtful strength, come on. I'm not at all a fan of my sister voting for one of the main Christian parties, but obviously that won't affect our relationship, that'd be silly.

Ideological differences can strain relationships though. I wasn’t saying that are relationship was terrible, I’m just saying that we can’t talk about a many things we used to be able to. The political environment of the Netherlands is also quite different from the US currently. You’re also not one to be angered by things like politics.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Biden is the guy, who is almost 80 years old and has clear signs of dementia. And he is the favourite of the democratic voters. :d God i love America.

Please explain those clear signs of dementia? He does make mistakes when speaking, but he has done so for pretty much all his political career (and so does Trump, btw). Neither does medical records show anything.

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yep, but this also fucking hilarious coming from an Italian...

Our politics can be a bit theatrical (As Gaber wrote on a very critical song "

Maybe it's because Italians

Have a long tradition

Of getting too caught up

In any argument.

Even inside the Parliament

There's an incandescent atmosphere:

They'd kill each other over anything,

But then nothing changes.") but we have a real democratic and rappresentative system, a party with 170k votes can be rappresentante in the Parliamend and became decisive for form a government.

Very big and a bit unexpected lost for Trump in Winsconsin. Daniel Kelly (currently in charge) lost against the liberal judge Karofsky. Wisconsin can be considerably a swing state and a conservative lost, with this percentile, it's an important signal for November.

Some datas:

2016 Presidential: GOP won by 0.7%

2016 Senate: GOP won by 3.4%

2016 House: GOP won 5-3

2018 Gubernatorial: DEM won by 0.9%

2018 House: GOP won 5-3

2019 Judicial: GOP won by 0.5%

IMG_20200414_022234_032.jpg

2 hours ago, Agger said:

Please explain those clear signs of dementia? He does make mistakes when speaking, but he has done so for pretty much all his political career (and so does Trump, btw). Neither does medical records show anything.

Doesn’t really make it that much better in fairness :p. For me, it’s how close he gets to saying some racially insensitive things while speaking. He finds s support among African Americans, but does it survive if he throws out some causally racial references...

I don’t think he has dementia, but I do think he’s forgetful and a little bit of a talker. He’s a classic politician in all respects, and it’s not the best image for the left. We could have been so much better, and now the party will have an inner struggle a the way to November. This is why my argument for electing Warren has some merit. The issue is Black voters don’t seem to trust women. They didn’t support Hilary (which is fair TBH), they didn’t support Warren, they didn’t support Kloubchar, and they didn’t support Harris. The last three are some of the best people in the party (in terms of uniting the factions), but they weren’t Obama’s friend. I actually find it difficult to not talk down the Black vote right now because I really struggle to understand the Biden attraction. They made their choice though, and now I have to make mine.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Our politics can be a bit theatrical (As Gaber wrote on a very critical song "

Maybe it's because Italians

Have a long tradition

Of getting too caught up

In any argument.

Even inside the Parliament

There's an incandescent atmosphere:

They'd kill each other over anything,

But then nothing changes.") but we have a real democratic and rappresentative system, a party with 170k votes can be rappresentante in the Parliamend and became decisive for form a government.

In theory you system is absolutely better, but in practice the Italian government is generally a highly corrupt, out of touch, group of fools (so...no difference to most other democracies).

The biggest issue with modern democracy is that we judge people by their personal or appearance rather than their merit, voting history, leadership ability, or moral character. Western Democracy “defeated” the Eastern Communists in the 90s and then got progressively less informed, less involved, and less educated. I will say that the people on this forum give me hope for democracy, and I thank you all a great amount for that.

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I'm not at all a fan of my sister voting for one of the main Christian parties, but obviously that won't affect our relationship, that'd be silly.

For the last 5 years in Indonesia, a lot of strained family relationships happened because of difference in election votes :evil:

Children ostracized by their families because they think that their candidate victory is more important than their own children.

One family even had a machete battle because one member of the family suspected that the other relatives did not vote for his prefered candidate.

More extreme example? A bunch of dead family members had to be reburied away from a family graveyard because their closest relatives did not support the family member who is also the landowner (which is running for the parliament).

Yaaay democracy

1 hour ago, Griff88 said:

For the last 5 years in Indonesia, a lot of strained family relationships happened because of difference in election votes :evil:

Children ostracized by their families because they think that their candidate victory is more important than their own children.

One family even had a machete battle because one member of the family suspected that the other relatives did not vote for his prefered candidate.

More extreme example? A bunch of dead family members had to be reburied away from a family graveyard because their closest relatives did not support the family member who is also the landowner (which is running for the parliament).

Yaaay democracy

Some people are pathetic..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Some people are pathetic..

Or you live a really privileged life where political issues don’t have huge implications on how you live your life.