website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

6 hours ago, Agger said:

The wishes from WSF has been known for more than a year. Why should they suddenly take Laser out (they've signed a contract for 2024, by the way making it even less likely). That would mean cutting the most universal class. That would also mean breaking their own regulations, I believe.

In athletics, I would see discus as one of the most likely cuts as well if that's where it ends up.

They’ve had some large dispute with the Laser manufacturer. Last I checked, both sides were basically still slinging threats at each other.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I wonder when this absurd blaming the athletes/sports for the giant costs will end. 

The big elephant in the room has always been the infrastructure and venue construction that balloons the budgets every time. 

I'm sorry, but every host now wants to build a whole Borough from scratch more or less, with big complexes, autobahns, metro lines. This is all fine and good, but don't hide it behind "they are essential for hosting the Olympics".

Also, this is a late consequence of Beijing 08 and their new, spectacular venues. We couldn't hear the end of it, how amazing they were, even after the games were long over. Now every host has to build new venues, just to outdo the previous host. Instead of only upgrading their existing ones and just give them a fresher look. Just build what is necessary..  

11 minutes ago, MHSN said:

IOC says 20 of 27 Olympic sports asked for some changes, but from what I see there are 28 sports. what's that missing sport ? Weightlifting ? or boxing since they don't recognize AIBA ?

Its boxing that is missing. Technically they cannot ask for any changes lol

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

They’ve had some large dispute with the Laser manufacturer. Last I checked, both sides were basically still slinging threats at each other.

You have some sources? I've seen a bit about the manufactoring, but nothing sounding that bad.

11 minutes ago, Agger said:

You have some sources? I've seen a bit about the manufactoring, but nothing sounding that bad.

I did some more reading this morning. It seems World Sailiing did announce late last year that they plan to keep Laser as an Olympic class in 2024, but there still seems to be a lot of question marks surrounding manufacturing and naming disputes.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, call me matt said:

In team sports if only 1 player per team would be removed, it would already make a difference (as it happened with waterpolo, but the IOC caved to FINA and their request).

I'm not saying reducing quotas is necessary, but if the IOC is going to push forward with it, they will make it like this, now with any radical decisions.

Just did some number crunching for a few team sports roster spots over on Wikipedia...

Basketball (12)

Football (18)

Handball (14)

Baseball (24) 

Field Hockey (17)

You have to remember that some of these tournaments are two weeks long. That is a lot of wear and tear on some of these athletes. I can't see Basketball dropping to 11. 18 for Soccer is already too small for a two week tournament in my opinion. I don't know much about Team Handball and Field Hockey to comment. 24 is about average for Baseball, most professional teams carry 25. Tokyo is having a 6 team 16 game tournament. You could probably get away with 22 per team. Another idea would to bring reserves or alternates, but that wouldn't lessen the stress of the athlete village or dining. 

I don't think quota reduction is necessary. I wouldn't mind seeing some sports get the axe. This may all come to a head very soon, and the Olympic Movement may be forced into creating two separate games. 

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Have heard through the grapevine triple jump may be on the chopping block

Yep, it’s out of the Diamond League. It wasn’t in the DNA event in Minsk that Lord Coe loved to hype up. It doesn’t get a lot of focus on WA broadcasts. There’s definitely evidence there.

Of course, as someone who basically specialized as a triple jumper in high school, this makes me incredibly sad. 

I had heard the 200m might be in danger as well. Personally, I’d prefer to get rid of the 200m since it’s literally the most pointless and least unique event on the program, but field events are second class citizens.