website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Vojthas If I was betting man (and I am not, but if I were), I’d be putting some good money on the BWF trying to push the Mixed Team event into the Olympics.

Maybe @Griff88 has some insight/opinion here?

I'd rather ask you to quickly send the money to me instead :p 

The answer is no, I believe BWF is quite happy with what it has now. Mixed doubles in badminton have quite a good competition and already in the Olympics before all this mixed gender trend, unlike the half-hearted mixed doubles in tennis/table tennis. The idea of mixed team is not good too since it basically means it will be gold for China or maybe Japan if they caused an upset, which is not the stuff BWF wants to showcase. There won't be any team events in badminton at the Olympics, at least until 2028. Oh yeah also the extra costs for making the medals too, how dare you increase the cost :finger:

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Wrestling has a long history in Eastern Europe, ex-USSR and Middle East. It's gonna be extremely tough to remove it from the Olympics as it's also one of the ancient classics. There was an uproar when they tried to get rid of it already so I just don't see that happening. Thankfully wrestling is big in US high-schools and college so I don't suppose USA will push to get rid of that too much.

Golf & tennis are two sports where Olympic gold medal is worth less than a win in Major. These two sports could be easily removed and I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Women's golf being dominated by the South Koreans is another reason USA might wanna look pass it after a while. Then again, golf only got back in 2016 so I suppose it will have to stay for a while yet - unless more big names will openly ignore it like they did in Rio (zika virus was an obvious BS excuse).

I was just saying that UWW (while being heavily “persuaded” by the IOC) might be inclined to remove Greco-Roman, for the more “youth” Beach Wrestling. Personally, I think Wrestling is safe like you said.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

51 minutes ago, MHSN said:

can't IOC stop adding nonsense events like 3x3 basketball or BMX freestyle instead of dropping something else ? :facepalm: I wonder how many other smart idea Bach has. :wall:

And remember, we’re cutting 1,000 quotas (more than actually) along the way...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I was just saying that UWW (while being heavily “persuaded” by the IOC) might be inclined to remove Greco-Roman, for the more “youth” Beach Wrestling. Personally, I think Wrestling is safe like you said.

I just don't see Beach Wrestling as Olympic sport. Russia and Middle East countries have enough money to influence IOC's decision :p Asia is a desired market for anyone so any Asian-strong sports like badminton are here to stay as well.

Tokyo 2021 has 10,616 quotas among the core sports +248 for the new sports. So among the core spots we are looking at 363 cuts to quotas. Amazing. I would say drop Artistic swimming (-104) an rhythmic gymnastics (96). That still leave 163 spots to cut. THIS IS INSANE. What difference does an extra 200-300 quotas make to a multi billion dollar budget? The pure stupidity of the IOC is just beyond me now. 

12 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Tokyo 2021 has 10,616 quotas among the core sports +248 for the new sports. So among the core spots we are looking at 363 cuts to quotas. Amazing. I would say drop Artistic swimming (-104) an rhythmic gymnastics (96). That still leave 163 spots to cut. THIS IS INSANE. What difference does an extra 200-300 quotas make to a multi billion dollar budget? The pure stupidity of the IOC is just beyond me now. 

ITG reported thay the final quota tally for Tokyo was 11,750. Has something changed, or did I get my numbers confused?

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

ITG reported thay the final quota tally for Tokyo was 11,750. Has something changed, or did I get my numbers confused?

Wikipedia has the total at 11,091. It seems no one is really sure on the numbers. I guess I could go through and add up all the quotas, but that’s a lot of work I don’t want to do.

34 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I swear, if we cut 300, or 500, or 1,000, or whatever amount of quotas, and 4 men’s football team are not among those cut; I’m done with the IOC.

22 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I just don't see Beach Wrestling as Olympic sport. Russia and Middle East countries have enough money to influence IOC's decision :p Asia is a desired market for anyone so any Asian-strong sports like badminton are here to stay as well.

Believe me, I don’t either. However these fools put Surfing in Tahiti, added Mixed Team Aerials to the Winter Olympics, and went against the majority opinion of Olympic fans and added breaking to 2024. These are just the kind of people that would add Beach Wrestling.

@MHSN Please tell me the UWW wouldn’t try to add a Mixed Team event?

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Wikipedia has the total at 11,091. It seems no one is really sure on the numbers. I guess I could go through and add up all the quotas, but that’s a lot of work I don’t want to do.

Per this: https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/Document Library/OlympicOrg/Games/Summer-Games/Games-Tokyo-2020-Olympic-Games/Tokyo-2020-event-programme.pdf#_ga=2.133083277.2096044029.1591722740-1933813303.1588049346

Its 10.616 + the 248 new ones scheduled for Paris.

Also they want full gender equality for 2024 "where ever possible". So one would think that team sports would be equal across the board. Water Polo will need to gain 22 quotas or lose 22 (men dropping to 10 teams) and Football needs to gain/lose 4 teams.