website statistics

Tennis ITF US Open 2021

George_D

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

WTA is a total crapshoot these days. Every Grand Slam has total random names making the final. Might as well bet on Danielle Collins vs Darya Kasatkina in the AO 2022 final.

Got £10 on that at 80-1, thanks for the tip. :hatoff:

7 hours ago, NearPup said:

Wild that :CAN Fernandez, someone completely unknown outside of Canada and of people who follow tennis pretty closely, made the US open finals... as the highest ranked player left.

Not much to go on for the final. Their previous meeting was in the juniors at Wimbledon in 2018. Fernandez (16), seeded 11th was beaten 6-2, 6-4 by the unseeded Raducanu (15). Irrelevant to what will happen tomorrow of course.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:02 AM, PHI2019 said:

Plenty of buzz about her in the Philippines now on account of her mother being a Filipino-Canadian.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:06 AM, opruh said:

Filipino athlete Fernandez (pirated by Canada) wins again. Good job.

Hopefully Eala matures well, so there is a hope for Filipino tennis!

I am the most sorry for Sakkari, playing like a beast in RG and USO quarterfinals just to completely disappear in the semis. As someone has mentioned above, she could have easily won both titles...

Fernandez had actually very tough road to the final, and it still sounds impressive to win against Osaka on hard, Kerber which is a bit better these days, Svitolina and Sabalenka. I know that Svitolina and Sabalenka (still) are no factors in the latter stages at slams, but this still sounds impressive.

And I wish there were more rivalries on WTA but I doubt we'll get some in the future. The next-next gen may be a new hope though. 

Novak has really tough road now, two most in-form players await in SF and Final (most likely). But whatever the outcome, this has been and incredible year. Unless the pressure overcomes him, his chances are still good against Zverev (mainly because it still a Slam, so Novak has more time to recover). But I don't have high hopes. Zverev has been playing very good since Tokyo, and he is due for a major win, just like Medvedev. Maybe the time has finally come for a next gen GS title! 

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I am the most sorry for Sakkari, playing like a beast in RG and USO quarterfinals just to completely disappear in the semis. As someone has mentioned above, she could have easily won both titles...

She beat two top 10 seeds in RG (Kenin and Swiatek) and three in USO (Kvitova, Andreescu, Pliskova) only to lose to unseeded players in SF. Very disappointing but still massive that she made two SF this year.