website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

9 hours ago, rybak said:

And India is called India in all languages? :lol: 

Bangaldesh, Nepal calls India Bharat

Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan call us Hindustan.(Perhaps they love calling every nation by adding suffix -stan )

Greeks call us Indie ,Japan and Korea- Indo

14 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Bangaldesh, Nepal calls India Bharat

Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan call us Hindustan.(Perhaps they love calling every nation by adding suffix -stan )

Greeks call us Indie ,Japan and Korea- Indo

“Stan” roughly translates to “home of” or “land of”, I believe. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, mrv86 said:

the photo leaked by the Slovenian press

Spoiler
2 hours ago, mrv86 said:

leaked by the Slovenian press

Spoiler
2 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Slovenian press

Spoiler
2 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Slovenian

Spoiler

shocked mr bean GIF

Spoiler

@hckosice - is there going to be a counter-statement with counter-emgargo of ice hockey players to Mexico?

8 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

In hindi stan means place. 

Right, probably a similar meaning then.

My guess is that Hindustan is an endonym in the Central Asian languages. The reason those people in those countries call India “Hindustan” is because they’ve had contact with India for hundreds of years. As where the name for the United States is probably an exonym in their languages, since they didn’t have contact with Americans before last hundred years of so probably. Plus, those languages were highly “Russified” during Russian and Soviet rule. The Soviets even made attempts at killing those languages (you kill a language, you kill a lot of that culture. If someone’s not connected to their identity as a Kazakh, then they can easily become a Soviet culturally.)

I don’t think I quite used endonym/exonym right in this context, but what I’m trying to say is that “Hindustan” is the traditional, historical name for India in those languages. It’s most likely always been the name in those languages, so there wouldn’t be a need/point to changing the name. As where, those languages never had a name for the United States, so instead coming up with a name in the traditional style, they most likely just burrowed a name from the Russian language or just used a name that sounded similar to the English version.

I’m sure you didn’t need, nor want, all this explanation/theory, but I have a tiny, little interest in language, culture, and communication :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, probably a similar meaning then.

My guess is that Hindustan is an endonym in the Central Asian languages. The reason those people in those countries call India “Hindustan” is because they’ve had contact with India for hundreds of years. As where the name for the United States is probably an exonym in their languages, since they didn’t have contact with Americans before last hundred years of so probably. Plus, those languages were highly “Russified” during Russian and Soviet rule. The Soviets even made attempts at killing those languages (you kill a language, you kill a lot of that culture. If someone’s not connected to their identity as a Kazakh, then they can easily become a Soviet culturally.)

I don’t think I quite used endonym/exonym right in this context, but what I’m trying to say is that “Hindustan” is the traditional, historical name for India in those languages. It’s most likely always been the name in those languages, so there wouldn’t be a need/point to changing the name. As where, those languages never had a name for the United States, so instead coming up with a name in the traditional style, they most likely just burrowed a name from the Russian language or just used a name that sounded similar to the English version.

I’m sure you didn’t need, nor want, all this explanation/theory, but I have a tiny, little interest in language, culture, and communication :p

Yeah we still going with the name given by British. There were efforts to change the name to Bharath many times even this year but court ruled it unneccesary since a lot of things would have to be changed. 

3 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Thankfully we have enough K-Pop fans to make them notice that we are not India :p 

Actually we call countries by almost same name as their English ones. Except that if north east west end south is there it becomes uttar, poorv, pashchim and dakshin respectively and dweep for islands. 

Apart from this :

USA: Sanyukt Rajya Amrica 

UAE : Sanyukt Arab Ameerat 

China : Cheen 

Russia : Roose

Netherlands : Holland ( nowadays Netherland  itself )

UK/GBR : Britian 

3 hours ago, mrv86 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Statement from the Mexican Jury

"As head of the Mexican jury for this TOISC we want to clarify that the photo leaked by the Slovenian press,

which we will condemn trough a Corona & tequila embargo to their entire representation in future TISC editions

do not depict an official meeting of any Mexican delegation member with Dutch representatives, as the 

men in the picture has no current nor past or future involvement with our decission, as it a basic principle

that no politician shall be ever allow to taint our musical freedom.

We apologize for the inconvenience and solemnly vow to avoid further misleads about our fair vote

and participation at every other TISC edition in the future.

How lucky @hckosice is to be mistaken for Slovenia - no shortage of tequila!

Spoiler

Wow, this sounded a lot like a Trump tweet. :lol:

#banbestmen

08:00, the sun rises on the Veluwe...rise and shine people, one hour to go! :cheer:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!