website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

The 203rd IOC Session recently concluded on Mars with incumbent President Thomas Bach in his reanimated form secured inside a robotic shell confirming the rumours that trapeze chess and upside down cheese rolling would be on the program for the upcoming 2100 Games in Pyongyang, replacing the long troubled sports of swimming and athletics. The 1976 Olympic Champion in Fencing stated "by expressing solidarity, integrity, solidarity, hope and more solidarity with these innovative urban sports we can bring our movement into the 22nd century, and attract the audience of 3 year olds the Olympic movement needs to stay relevant in the modern age. The best unicycle handball players will be on display to inspire all of humanity in North Korea".

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

There might be a third “Olympic Games” soon.

I have zero faith this will be any good as long as Bach (and friends) are in charge.

But I have long wanted to see a third edition of the Olympics focussed on esports and mind sports (like chess), so in that sense I’m very supportive of this. But Bach has so drop his silly opposition to esports that “glorify violence”.

I’m honestly glad they are going this route. I have nothing against eSports. I just feel they would be totally out of place at the Summer Olympics. If they want to host a separate eSports version of the Games then what harm and I wish them the best of luck.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Are they awarding India 2036 tomorrow as well? Looks like Bach is actively trying to decide things up until 2050 before his term ends..

Reminds me a lot of our politicians here. When their term is coming to an end, they open the floodgates and agree, sign all sorts of last minute stuff, before they lose power..

Edited by Federer91

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Good idea to keep it away from the normal games.

I actually think it’s better for everybody involved for this to be a third games rather than part of the summer or winter games.

The summer games are already bloated, and esports also requires more flexibility than traditional games (the individual games are more akin to sailing boats rather than events, so it isn’t really practical to lock in a program four years ahead of time for instance).

But I do think that, at this point, esports is an important enough part of the sports ecosystem that they deserve to be part of the Olympics in some way.

And hey, chess is an esport too so there will be something for more traditionalist folks :P