website statistics

Men's Volleyball FIVB Olympic Qualification Tournaments 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Italy and Cuba are currently tied in wins, points and set ratio.

If Italy beats Brazil, Cuba can grab the quota if they beat Iran with a better score (eg. ITA wins 3-1, CUB needs to win 3-0).  

If they win by the same score, Italy will probably qualify because their points ratio is much better.

If Brazil wins none of the above matters and Brazil qualifies.

how much I'd like Italy to have a :NED:RSA:NZL kind of policy...no world ranking backup, if you don't qualify on the field, no chance you get a spot

and who cares if you're the reigning world champions

I'm furious about how mentally weak our team has been this week...even more than the losses themselves :facepalm:

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

I didn't follow these qualifications that much mostly because I was too busy with the Asian Games but also because I gave up on this time few months ago. it's a pity we missed the Olympics but when you do a dumb mistake you have to pay the price.

I think after the Olympic season (2021 year) 3 teams made a horrible mistake by appointing the very wrong coach. Iran, Canada and Slovenia. the other 2 realized it almost quickly and fixed it. Slovenia is safely qualified and Canada was/is about to qualify. but our federation insisted of supporting this dumb idiot ... (whatever bad word you want) guy who had a scorched-earth policy and just left nothing behind. it took 10-20 years for Iran to develop a team worthy of top-10 in the world but it took 2 years for this guy to destroy that completely. Iran is a 4th tier team in the world at the moment. just because he had some random good results in 2022 VNL (mostly because our reserve opposite all of a sudden played out of this world for few games) they decided to keep him (as a sign of supporting local coaches) hoping for another miracle like those few games which never happened.

they had to fire him after losing 10 out of 12 matches in 2023 VNL but they gave him another chance, again they had to fire him after struggling China B and losing 3-0  to Japan in a one-sided final at home during the Asian Champs, yet they didn't. now he is gone after his team being manhandled by likes of Ukraine and Czech rep ! 

one thing is for sure we will never have an Iranian coach, at least not anytime soon. and new coach has to start from zero.

PS: based on some interviews I believe our volleyball federation didn't understand the qualification rules correctly. they thought if Japan qualifies directly, Iran can grab the Asia quota no matter how many matches we lose. :facepalm:

still, don't forget that Iran just won the U-21 world champs...there's a good chance that you still have a number of talented guys comin'up...just need to fix the coach's issue ;)

11 minutes ago, phelps said:

how much I'd like Italy to have a :NED:RSA:NZL kind of policy...no world ranking backup, if you don't qualify on the field, no chance you get a spot

I'm furious about how mentally weak our team has been this week...even more than the losses themselves :facepalm:

They dont have this kind of policy, if they have the number 3 of the ranking they bring them to the olympics. Ranking Is not a backup , Is a different and more significant way toqualify for Olympics, Who qualify via ranking Is qualified on the field , every sport should have many more places given by ranking and less spot given in random 1 shot race or tournament.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

Honestly I think the IOC should ban the kind of selection policies :NED:RSA:NZL have entirely. Sure if those NOCs want the athletes to self fund the trip that’s fine, but the IOC should insist that the best qualified athletes attend.

Day 6 Results

Pool A (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

:BRA d. :IRI 3-0 (25-19, 25-20, 25-23)

:CUB d. :ITA 3-1 (25-22, 21-25, 27-25, 29-27)

:UKR d. :CZE 3-1 (25-19, 25-15, 23-25, 25-20)

:GER d. :QAT 3-0 (25-15, 25-20, 25-16)

:GER have qualified for Paris. :BRA with a win against :ITA (any scoreline) will join them.  If Italy wins in 5, :CUB will qualify with a win in 3/4 over :IRI tomorrow. If Italy wins in 3/4, a Cuba loss would book their ticket to Paris. If both Cuba and Italy win in 3/4, it’ll go down to points, set ratio, then points ratio, where Italy has a big advantage. If both Italy and Cuba win in 5, then Italy would most likely qualify, as their set ratio would be the same as Cuba, but their points ratio is bigger. 

Pool B (Tokyo, Japan)

:TUR d. :EGY 3-1 (25-21, 25-18, 20-25, 25-23)

:FIN d. :TUN 3-0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-15)

:USA d. :SRB 3-0 (25-19, 25-18, 25-17)

:JPN d. :SLO 3-0 (25-21, 25-22, 25-18)

:JPN and :USA have qualified for Paris. 

Pool C (Xi’an, China)

:BEL d. :CAN 3-1 (25-14, 22-25, 30-28, 25-16)

:BUL d. :MEX 3-0 (25-23, 25-19, 25-22)

:POL d. :NED 3-1 (21-25, 25-17, 25-22, 29-27)

:ARG d. :CHN 3-2 (22-25, 25-22, 25-19, 20-25, 15-12)

:POL has qualified for Paris. :BEL qualify with a win over :BUL but if Bulgaria wins, a :CAN win over :MEX would qualify them for Paris. Belgium and Canada would need to lose for :ARG to qualify.