website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

@konig I received a question from my mother and now I'm also curious because now I can't NOT see it anymore :lol:

What's with those hand gestures almost every single Argentinian fan makes non-stop while singing or cheering? Like throwing something away with one hand, but most of the time they do so with a completely emotionless look on their face, like it's some sort of obligated move. I've been thinking "what on earth is that?!" since I received the question (three matches ago :d) and now I really want to know.

It doesn't have much meaning... it's like you're accompanying the rhythm of the song, nothing else. But it has become an habit among the people here when they cheer for anything (sport teams, musical groups, politician rallies, anything that has a "fanbase").

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

@konig I received a question from my mother and now I'm also curious because now I can't NOT see it anymore :lol:

What's with those hand gestures almost every single Argentinian fan makes non-stop while singing or cheering? Like throwing something away with one hand, but most of the time they do so with a completely emotionless look on their face, like it's some sort of obligated move. I've been thinking "what on earth is that?!" since I received the question (three matches ago :d) and now I really want to know.

That's just a natural motion to follow the chants. I've seen it on crowds on different countries, though, maybe not as consistent as us. Personally, I don't do it, I just sing :p but that's the usual way.

The origin of that I don't know. Back in the day people would do it with the shirts or a scarf or something similar, so maybe it stayed over time but only with the hands.

Here is a video from La Bombonera in 1954 where you can see it 

8 hours ago, dcro said:

Orsato officiating a match of Argentina... Yeah, we stood no chance.

Argentina did deserve to win based on chances alone, but by the same token, this match was largely decided by the most outrageous penalty kick and the careless goal that followed in our typical fashion. Livaković was *defending*, and the collision was caused by his leg which was planted in place like 2 meters ahead of any contact. Conveniently, but unsurprisingly inconsistent in the age of VAR, this was never questioned.

In those plays where there's a collision, the advantage always goes to the player that touches the ball first or against the player that doesn't touch it at all, like Livakovic in this case. That's a penalty, maybe not a big one, but it is a foul.

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

Regarding the penalty. I personally feel that it should not be a penalty as the GK didn't move towards the attacker. But, honestly, it would be given a penalty in 9 out of 10 cases. 

But then again, the fact that the incident was not even reviewed says it all...

#banbestmen

8 hours ago, thepharoah said:

i won't be surprised if Morocco wins TBH , Rabiot and Upamecano are injured so u never know 

Honestly by now being really surprised by any of the three remaining teams would suggest one didn't really pay attention :p 

No, they don't all have the same chance of course, but counting out Morocco again after all they've done so far? Look where that got the Portuguese team.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, NMQ said:

That's just a natural motion to follow the chants. I've seen it on crowds on different countries, though, maybe not as consistent as us. Personally, I don't do it, I just sing :p but that's the usual way.

The origin of that I don't know. Back in the day people would do it with the shirts or a scarf or something similar, so maybe it stayed over time but only with the hands.

Here is a video from La Bombonera in 1954 where you can see it 

Thanks (and LDOG) for the explanation :d

We were just curious, especially because many of those doing it seemed to be entirely uninterested and just casually looking around, instead of really being into it. That's what raised the most curiousity :p 

I've never seen it in other countries by the way, although maybe other South Americans do it as well (which I don't really watch much outside of the World Cup).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Dolby said:

Regarding the penalty. I personally feel that it should not be a penalty as the GK didn't move towards the attacker. But, honestly, it would be given a penalty in 9 out of 10 cases. 

Anyone that can show one case of an equal incident in the modern era when it was not given a penalty?:mumble:

I think a VAR suggesting a review for this would probably be never called for international duty again.

13 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Well, i see this "late" again.

First of all: your mother make a very good question, when i read you i ask myself: he is rigth, why we do that?, it is something so naturalized here that never think in the "why", even when i talk of this with my girldfriend she says with that naturalized concept "obviusly for cheering" and i answer to her "is normal here but not in the rest of the world".

LDOG and NMQ explain well and the origin is "unknow" (at least for most of us) but is like "if you didnt do it, something is missing" (NMQ is an exception :p), you can cheering and do it, the "other option" is cheering and jumping and even you have the combination "moving the hand and jumping".

Another detail: is dificult to notice this when ths spanish is not your native language but when argentinian fans in football sing and cheer has a "jargon" which modify a little the form of talking and you listen  a "iee" in any word they sing.

Guillermo Vilas, one of the best argentinian players of all times sayed some years ago: i dont know nothinf of football, some day i was with friends and they start cheering and he notice that "iee" and ask: why are you talking like this? and some of his friends answer "is the football jargon", he says to them "i wont talking like a stupid" (he doesnt like too much:lol:)

After that, i expect you cant not notice when you listen argentinians fans:p

Edited by konig

2 hours ago, dcro said:

But then again, the fact that the incident was not even reviewed says it all...

it doesn't need to be reviewed...in such cases, if there's a contat, it's always a penalty.

the goalkeeper must avoid by any mean all kinds of contact, it's a specific rule (by the way, handball/basketball-alike blocks in football are not allowed, it's always defender's fault in those circumstances).