website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Cup 2022 - 2023

Totallympics

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, but those places are in relative close proximity while you're asking athletes to travel to USA in the first week of March when most of them are tired physically and mentally at this stage of the season and then they have to to go back for World Cup finals to Europe again. 

It is called the “world cup,” no?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, but those places are in relative close proximity while you're asking athletes to travel to USA in the first week of March when most of them are tired physically and mentally at this stage of the season and then they have to to go back for World Cup finals to Europe again. From a logistics point of view it makes no sense whatsoever. Staging North American races in the first half of December makes all the sense but you tell me why Lake Louise needs to be killed off which creates a bad hole in the calendar if the Zermatt races keep getting cancelled because of lack of snow. Are and Kvitfjell have enough northern latitude they can fill the March dates each season, nobody is asking for Central Europe to host World Cup in March.

I do agree a trip to North America should be either the first or last part of the season, both are fine of course, but the 'Aspen is a snob ski resort so I don't like it anyway' is entirely irrelevant to that discussion of course :p 

Lake Louise being killed off is a crime by itself.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

World Cups can have a schedule that makes sense as well :p 

A North America trip, a Central Europe part, a Scandinavian trip and possibly some sort of Asian trip could all definitely fit within a season, but it would make sense to have all of those planned as one part. Instead of, to make it a bit more extreme: week 1 in USA, week 2 in Norway, week 3 in Canada, week 4 in Austria :p 

I don't think anyone means to challenge the existence of North American World Cup events, they should obviously be on the calendar.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So I said put North American races in the first week of December, don't throw them in March and expand the carbon footprint by flying across the Atlantic back & forth. I'm shocked the usual eco lobbyists haven't blasted that idea yet? I assume you don't like Lake Louise on the World Cup and justify it getting kicked out so we can get Aspen in March instead. Women's calendar is basically ideal, Are/Kvitfjell before Soldeu but the men's is total nonsense. This ain't the 80s when we had World Cup in Japan in March. That is no longer sustainable by modern business.

No problem at all having more races in NA, i actually admire it. But the place in the calendar isn't the best, as evident by last weeks conditions in Taho or this weekends.. It's better to have a swing in the beginning of the season, when there is a lack of snow in Europe. 

24 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I do agree a trip to North America should be either the first or last part of the season, both are fine of course, but the 'Aspen is a snob ski resort so I don't like it anyway' is entirely irrelevant to that discussion of course :p 

Lake Louise being killed off is a crime by itself.

I would have blasted the idea of US races in March even if it wasn't in Aspen, this makes no sense whatsoever. Same thing that happens in biathlon when those Soldier Hollow/Canmore races have second-rate field or Sapporo in ski jumping (this season joined by Lake Placid). It's not because athletes dislike the venue, it's because it's bang in the middle of the season and adds unneccesary travel.