website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2024

Totallympics

14 minutes ago, hckošice said:

but oh my ... seriously... this schedule is really catastrophic.

Everything at same time and all only in the night, nothing, absolutely nothing in the local afternoon/evening - European morning/afternoon :(

and Saturday 27th is completely brutal. Saturday and only 2 Dual Moguls finals :lol: https://olympics.com/gangwon-2024/en/results/all-sports/daily-schedule-date=2024-01-27.htm

There is some ice hockey in the second half of the European morning! :d 

Skeleton isn't really early neither, after 9am European time. Curling is even later than that, the problem with that (for me) is that it's curling :p 

Men's ice hockey final even starts at midday European time. But yeah, in general it is incredibly focused on only half of the day. I remember the Pyeongchang Olympics were not much different, there were several days in which I was just playing a game for one or two hours during the Korean day, simply because nothing was going on.....(followed by like 4 finals at the same time, come on)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

I see no mistake...:rolleyes: ;)

by the way, I hope women's Alpine Skiing won't be a one-woman show...:mumble:

even if looking at :ALB finishing high in the medal table would be a nice "novum" :d

yep, moms are the biggest heroes without debate. :d

I´m mainly curious about the time gap between Colturi and the others in Slalom it may be even some historic marge like 3-4 seconds between gold and silver lol

so far the record is from 2012 and Vlhová win by negligible one and half second

image.png

2 minutes ago, hckošice said:

yep, moms are the biggest heroes without debate. :d

I´m mainly curious about the time gap between Colturi and the others in Slalom it may be even some historic marge like 3-4 seconds between gold and silver lol

so far the record is from 2012 and Vlhová win by negligible one and half second

image.png

Always nice to look back at old junior/youth results :d 

That good old time, when skiing powerhouses like Morocco and the Netherlands won medals :d 

LqOIQPI.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I remember the Pyeongchang Olympics were not much different, there were several days in which I was just playing a game for one or two hours during the Korean day, simply because nothing was going on.....(followed by like 4 finals at the same time, come on)

but at least the main sports (for European viewers point) were all very late in the evening/night in PyeongChang, despite the strong freeze and dark (remember the nearly 5 hours Normal Hill Ski Jumping competition and Simon Ammann completely frozen leaving the bench for like 10 times before his jump :p) only for the purpose of European viewers for sports like Luge, SJ, NC, Biathlon, Cross-Country Skiing etc... all were the night of Korea and very pleasant late morning early afternoon in Europe

Edited by hckošice

@heywoodu I can also think of a good number of athletes who’ve gone onto to senior success after YOG success as well. Alpine Skiing does seem to be on the lower end of that though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

but at least the main sports (for European viewers point) were all very late in the evening/night in PyeongChang, despite the strong freeze and dark (remember the nearly 5 hours Normal Hill Ski Jumping competition and Simon Ammann completely frozen leaving the bench for like 10 times before his jump :p) only for the purpose of European viewers for sports like Luge, SJ, NC, Biathlon, Cross-Country Skiing etc... all were the night of Korea and very pleasant late morning early afternoon in Europe

True, but being entirely honest....it's the Youth Olympics, even if they were in the middle of the European day I honestly doubt there'd be much more than a handful of viewers...

We would watch it, obviously, but we on this forum really are nowhere near the 'normal' sports fan :d 

34 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@heywoodu I can also think of a good number of athletes who’ve gone onto to senior success after YOG success as well. Alpine Skiing does seem to be on the lower end of that though.

Oh I didn't even mean that :p 

Schwarz and Vlhova obviously became leaders in the World Cup, but several of the other medalists are having nice World Cup careers as well. In 2016 that's a bit less the case, where River Radamus and Alione Danioth were all the hype, but Radamus never really lived up to that (but he's got a decent World Cup career going now) and Danioth just snowballed from bad luck to bad luck with, if I'm not mistaken, 6 (!) serious injuries in as many years..

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

We would watch it, obviously, but we on this forum really are nowhere near the 'normal' sports fan :d 

“Normal” people are boring anyway :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela