website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

28 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Would be interesting to know how you picked the options?

Mens 400 IM: Nagy but no Heidtmann?

Mens 400 free: Stjepanovic and Christiansen but no Vogel?

Womens 400 IM: No Overholt?

Mens 100 breast: Watanabe? :mumble:

Womens 400 free: Belmonte? :mumble:

Mens 4x100 free: No Russia or Germany, but Poland? This one is debatable but still ok i think, especially if some of the russian guys wont be allowed to compete.

Mens 200 free: No Haas, but Stjepanovic?

Mens 100 back: No Tarasevich or Rylov but Guido, Christou and Reid?

Womens 100 breast: Huge mistake! Where are Meilutyte, King, Meili and Efimova? :d

I think it should be 200 breast ...

Womens 200 free: Is Hosszu even entered in this event?

Mens 200 fly: Kenderesi?

Womens 200 IM: 3 japanese girls and no Andreeva? :d

Mens 4x200 free: No Japan?

Womens 200 fly: No Hosszu? Debatable, but not completely wrong.

Mens 200 back: Rylov? :d

Mens 100 fly: Verlinden but no Metella, Sadovnikov, Stravius or Deibler?

Womens 800 free: Belmonte?

Mens 50 free: Liukkonen but for example no Wierling?

Mens medley relay: Poland but no Brazil, Russia, Italy or China? :d

I asked months ago if there is anyone willing to help with the lists. If you think you could do this job better, why you didn't contact me? We have what we have, if you think none of listed athletes is winning a medal, just put Any Other and you'll get your points.

hace 2 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

For some questions its really important to know whether russian athletes will be banned in weigthlifting and swimming or not? Will the contest be open until we have the decision by CAS?

You can enter the competition whenever you want. However all votes have to be done before the 1st Day of the Olympics. August 5th, h. 23:59 (GMT -3) will be considered the deadline, you can’t edit your votes after that.

vor 38 Minuten schrieb Wanderer:

I asked months ago if there is anyone willing to help with the lists. If you think you could do this job better, why you didn't contact me? We have what we have, if you think none of listed athletes is winning a medal, just put Any Other and you'll get your points.

I didnt read see that you asked for help, but for some events the options are more than weird. In womens 100 breast you didnt mention the 4 athletes that are most likely to win a medal. Its as if you wouldnt include Kerber, Serena and Muguruza as options in a tennis prediction contest.

Edit: Atkinson is also missing in womens 100 breast and i would add O'Connor instead of Tutton.

In most events your picks are ok, because the missing athletes only have a small chance for a medal, but you should definitely add the following options:

Womens 400/800 free: Belmonte

Mens 4x100 free: Russia (if all of their athletes will be allowed to compete)

Womens 100 breast: Meilutyte, Meili, King, Efimova (if allowed to compete), Atkinson

In womens 200 free Hosszu should be removed, i doubt that she is even entered in this event.

Mens 200 fly: Kenderesi

Womens 200 IM: Only 2 athletes per nation are allowed, so Japan cant enter 3 athletes, i think you should also add Andreeva.

Mens 4x200 free: Japan, they are 3rd or 4th favorite.

Womens 200 fly: Maybe Hosszu, she could win a medal or miss the final, impossible to say at the moment.

Womens 200 breast: Efimova (if allowed to compete)

Mens 200 back: Rylov, he is the favorite for bronze.

Womens 200 back: Ustinova (if allowed to compete)

Mens medley relay: China (instead of Poland) + Russia (if allowed to compete) or Brazil (instead of France). I think France isnt even entered in this event?

I think all other events are ok, no favorites for a medal are missing.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 22 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

I didnt read see that you asked for help, but for some events the options are more than weird. In womens 100 breast you didnt mention the 4 athletes that are most likely to win a medal. Its as if you wouldnt include Kerber, Serena and Muguruza as options in a tennis prediction contest.

Some corrections are to be done, just wait a while please.

vor 1 Minute schrieb LDOG:

Some corrections are to be done, just wait a while please.

No problem, no reason to hurry, we have 4 days before swimming competitions start. I just wanted to help, because i think that in each event at least the 3 or 4 favorites for a medal should be given as options. Like i said in my previous post, it actually isnt too much work left. Just include Belmonte in womens 400/800 free, Efimova (if allowed to compete) in womens 100/200 breast, Atkinson/Meili/Meilutyte/King in womens 100 breast, Hosszu in womens 200 fly, Andreeva in womens 200 IM instead of one of the japanese girls, Rylov in mens 200 back, Kenderesi in mens 200 fly, China + Brazil/Russia in mens medley relay and Japan in mens 4x200 free relay.

Did i just miss it or are mens 200 IM and womens 100 free completely missing?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 4 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

No problem, no reason to hurry, we have 4 days before swimming competitions start. I just wanted to help, because i think that in each event at least the 3 or 4 favorites for a medal should be given as options. Like i said in my previous post, it actually isnt too much work left. Just include Belmonte in womens 400/800 free, Efimova (if allowed to compete) in womens 100/200 breast, Atkinson/Meili/Meilutyte/King in womens 100 breast, Hosszu in womens 200 fly, Andreeva in womens 200 IM instead of one of the japanese girls, Rylov in mens 200 back, Kenderesi in mens 200 fly, China + Brazil/Russia in mens medley relay and Japan in mens 4x200 free relay.

Did i just miss it or are mens 200 IM and womens 100 free completely missing?

Nope, you're right, that's why I ask for patience.

Don't expect so many corrections in the medal candidates though, a bunch will be made, but not a lot.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb LDOG:

Nope, you're right, that's why I ask for patience.

Don't expect so many corrections in the medal candidates though, a bunch will be made, but not a lot.

Ok, it would be fine for me if not all of those athletes will be included, then i might have a small advantage. In mens 200 IM you should pick Phelps, Hagino, Lochte and Pereira, the rest is pretty random. In womens 100 free you should pick both Campbell sisters, Sjöstrom, Kromowidjojo and Oleksiak, the rest is pretty random.

Contest-Cycling.png

Prediction Contests Are Just-For-Fun Games

"There are things that are uncertain for us, things more or less probable,

and we seek to compensate for the impossibility of knowing them

by determining their different degrees of likelihood.

So it was that we owe to the weakness of the human mind one of the most delicate

and ingenious of mathematical theories, the science of chance or probability."

is now open.

Remember to hide your predictions.

For any other questions, please contact me via PM.

Enjoy the Contest! :d

Great work @Wanderer and @LDOG. Really appreciable that you two have covered almost all team sports. Apart from the already open contests, which are the other contests yet to be published? Are we having those 3 misc. contests or you had to drop them because of time constraints?