website statistics

Short Track Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

13 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Rulebook, special section CCP.8.8 :"The rest of the rules shall not apply to any skater with special status- in case they are fighting for medals, they can be disqualified only if they murder another skater on the ice".

In my head canon, since the Hungarian was disqualified earlier in the race what was done to him had no barring on the race.

Spoiler

Including murder :bones:

20 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I can't tell if this a honest question or a joke because my post was a joke. :d I will answer it anyway.

The Liu brothers are mixed. Chinese father and Hungarian mother, so they got their father's surname. 

Oh ok. I had this doubt from 2018.. And what about the protest I hope it gets upheld. 

27 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Oh ok. I had this doubt from 2018.. And what about the protest I hope it gets upheld. 

Hungarian team knows that it won't be upheld, that would be unprecedented, it's just a way to express their dissatisfaction towards the jury.

Honestly, I think the jury should organize a meeting with all the coaches to discuss what's going on because the number of incidents and penalties are too high. Maybe the jury is too strict or the athletes are too aggressive, or both. But maybe something should be done to clam things down because right now it feels like the teams and the jury aren't on the same wavelength. 

Italy is continuing their miracle rise in sports. It feels as if they have already won medals in a dozen different sports here ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Absolute disgrace. This will go right up there with the biggest robberies in the Olympic history. The whole tournament, I fear.

My problem with short track are indeed all those penalties. Isn't the whole idea of the sport to have a closely physical race between the skaters? Okay, I am not approving murders here, but every slightest contact getting penalized is ridiculous.

#banbestmen

3 hours ago, Vektor said:

I can't tell if this a honest question or a joke because my post was a joke. :d I will answer it anyway.

The Liu brothers are mixed. Chinese father and Hungarian mother, so they got their father's surname. 

So called "banana-kids", because they are yellow on the outside, but white on the inside. The brothers grew up in Hungary, they speak Hungarian perfectly

Fontana's scream wasn't in celebration as much as it was a release of the anger she's been carrying since returning from a year's break after the 2018 Olympics. Fontana won gold four years ago, but it was made clear that her husband and former U.S. short track skater, Anthony Lobello Jr., wasn't welcome as her coach.

"I'm kind of overwhelmed with a lot of different emotions — happy, relieved," Fontana said. "I don't usually yell, but it was a way to let it out, all that anger."

Italian federation officials passed Fontana in the hallway after her victory and didn't offer congratulations.

"I wasn't looking for them to come up to me," she said. "It's actually better if they stay away."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/short-track-speed-skating/olympics-short-track-speed-skating-canada-beijng-olympics-1.6339243

lol why does this only happen to Italy!?!