website statistics
18 minutes ago, rybak said:

What do you think about songs in Finnish selections? In my opinion 6 out of 7 songs deserve to be choosen for Eurovision.

I haven’t fully listened to all of the songs yet, but there were two or three that caught my attention.

:POR:CZE:UKR:ESP are probably my favorite national competitions this year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Replay of the Czechia national finals. Anyone can vote until February 6th. I’ve put my rankings in the spoiler box below.

https://youtube.com/live/EA5zETYL3fM?si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Spoiler

1. Pam Rabbit

2. Vesna

3. Maella

4. RODAN

5. Markéta Irglová

Definitely a case or quality over quantity in my opinion. One of my favorite national finals this year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 minutes ago, ManuCHIL said:

Really good from Ukraine

Good but the show must be improved for the belgian entry

Albania, sorry but I can't with it

Pretty much identical thoughts for me at the moment, though I’m still not certain how I feel about the Ukrainian entry given it wasn’t my favorite in that national final.

I will be bringing back my end of the year, last time zone remarks this year, so you can all look forward to that in the New Year :p 

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

@Vektor thought you might be interested to know that a Hungarian song popped up on one of my personalized music discovery playlists. I probably won’t add this song to my fabled main playlist, but it seems like a really nice song. I found the translated lyrics to be a little confusing though. It’s certainly the kind of song that earn a few of my points at a TISC :d

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Linktree is also supposedly no longer allowed, so it would seem functionality for journalists, public relations professionals, and other large organizations has taken a hit.

At least that’s my outlook as someone who mostly uses Twitter to promote my work outside the app and interact with our international sports professionals.

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2023
Posted

I’d give this max points in a heartbeat. A little sad they didn’t choose it, but their other entry is rather interesting too.

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

By the way, i was wondering, while watching last night, how do they re-draw the borders of the districts after the new Census came in? At CNN they would often mention "Well District X has now incorporated this county, or this part, and is now leaning more Dem/Rep", which brought up my interest how exactly do they decide these restructures of district borders? Is there a formula that is being followed? Maybe @Olympian1010 can give some inside answers. :d

The rules for the redistricting process are left up to each individual state. In California, we have an independent commission called the California Citizens Redistricting Commission (CCRC). I remember there was a portal online where you could write in to the commission describing what you considered your “local community.” They then took the input from individual citizens and advocacy groups and drew up new congressional districts based on it, while making sure they were roughly equal in population, and that they weren’t drawn in a way that would purposely dull the voting ability of a particular group.

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted

Regardless of the outcome, it’s hard to find a less inspiring, or unhealthy (can’t quite come up with the words I want here, so these will have to do) election than this one. I read up on the all the major candidates (top 5/6) during the first round, and I honestly don’t know if I’d willingly support any of them. The amount of scandals, conflicts of interest, questionable political decisions, etc. are just ridiculous. I’d certainly like to here some local users viewpoints on the state of Brazilian democracy.

Posted

I just came across a series of international high school student discussions/debates held in the 1950s on American television. I’ve only watched the video linked below so far, but it’s a fascinating window into the geopolitical debates of the time. 

This discussion features students from :BRA:RSA:ETH:ITA and starts with general thoughts about America and the experience. They then get into some more “juicy” issues like Italy and Ethiopia’s relationship and what students in both countries are taught at the time, Ethiopia’s ethnic divide, and South Africa’s policy of apartheid. The discussion is held completely in English, and there’s subtitles available as well.