Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
bestmen

Scandals in Sports Thread

heywoodu    3,229
Posted (edited)

It's not specifically Olympic, but also definitely not focussed on one sport, hence it deserves a thread but there's no other section where it fits (because it's also not 'non-Olympic' per se) :) 

Ukraine's Government has banned the country's athletes from competing at any events in Russia amid an ongoing political dispute and because of the latter nation's doping scandal. The Ukrainian Youth and Sports Ministry has issued a decree which prohibits "the participation of members of the Ukrainian national sports teams in any sports competitions held on the territory of the Russian Federation".

Youth and Sports Minister Ihor Zhdanov confirmed on Facebook that they would not allow Ukrainian competitors to attend major sporting events held in Russia. Zhdanov claimed Russia was an "aggressor" country and "offenders must be expelled from the global sports arena".

Full article on insidethegames.

Personally I think it's a bit odd to use the political stuff as a reason for boycotting events (in any case, not only this one). The systematic state-sponsored doping would be a much more clear reason, but it's already sort of late for that kind of things. Should have done that earlier, or not at all.

Edited by heywoodu

dcro    2,716

"Ukrainian government bans athletes from competing at events in Russia" thread.

Heretic! :yikes:

• Haha 1

heywoodu    3,229
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, dcro said:

"Ukrainian government bans athletes from competing at events in Russia" thread.

Heretic! :yikes:

B0vX87l.jpg

But serious, this is rather big. Not specifically because it's Ukraine, only one country, but if other countries were to join, this might have an annoyingly bad impact on sports. If two European nations who qualified for the FIFA World Cup were to do the same for example, we'd get all the orange craziness after all, after easily escaping that in qualifying :p 

Spoiler

And no, don't make this the general "Countries Who Are Boycotting Events In Russia Thread".

Edited by heywoodu

De_Gambassi    271
Posted (edited)
il y a 29 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

B0vX87l.jpg

But serious, this is rather big. Not specifically because it's Ukraine, only one country, but if other countries were to join, this might have an annoyingly bad impact on sports. If two European nations who qualified for the FIFA World Cup were to do the same for example, we'd get all the orange craziness after all, after easily escaping that in qualifying :p 

Cacher le contenu

And no, don't make this the general "Countries Who Are Boycotting Events In Russia Thread".

I could bet right there that no country qualified to the 2018 WC will do the same thing :d

Apparently, there is no time frame in the ukrainian decision. I'm not eaxactly sure what they're epecting . As far, I can tell, they only hurt themselves in the process.

Edited by De_Gambassi

Finnator123    91

Russia should leave Ukraine to cool things off. (NOTE: CRIMEA IS PART OF UKRAINE)

phelps    536

when I read things like these, I can only feel a sense of sadness...:cry::facepalm::stop:

Joshi    9
Posted (edited)

I was reading an article about England contemplating a boycott of the FIFA WC?? Because of a poisoning of a former KGB spy and daughter living in asylum in England. I honestly don't think we'll hear the last of this.

Edited by Joshi

vinipereira    944

Honestly, I'm sad for Petrix Barbosa, who I always thought never got to fulfill his potential - and now we may know why. Good for him on being brave enough and speak out.

thiago_simoes    209
Posted (edited)
4 horas atrás, vinipereira disse:

I'm shocked. If this turns out to be true, and it must be since there are many people accusing the coach, this guy is a monster. In short: former national team coach Fernando Lopes has been accused by 42 male gymnasts of sexually abusing, physically and morally insulting them when they were children (as young as 10 years old). The first report report was around 2001, and the last one was in 2016, when Lopes was formally removed from his position one month before the Olympic Games. According to reports from the gymnasts to the newspaper O Globo, Lopez touched the private areas of the boys, slept with them, broke into the bathroom while they showered, and even asked them to masturbate in front of him (one of the guys said Lopes masturbated him while he was sleeping). Investigations were formally started in 2016, but the process has been slow, so the newspaper decided to publicly disclose the whole story. This is infuriating and unacceptable. I hope the guy rots in jail.

Edited by thiago_simoes
  • Sad 1

thiago_simoes    209
4 horas atrás, vinipereira disse:

Honestly, I'm sad for Petrix Barbosa, who I always thought never got to fulfill his potential - and now we may know why. Good for him on being brave enough and speak out.

Performance-wise, I believe he reached the peak of his career in 2011, but I think he's simply not as naturally talented as Hypolito or Sasaki, for example. Now, I heard that one of the big names in our country verbally confronted a minor about his sexuality during a training session (he said things like "we only have faggots in this sport, I can't take it anymore"), to everyone's shock. But now I see that maybe the guy sees gay people as sick people thanks to that insane coach. Of course this is untrue, harmful and full or prejudice, but at least there seems to be an "explanation" for his declared homophobia. Nevertheless, this is sick and brutal. I can imagine how bad the victims feel, and how this situation is stressful for everyone. And for everybody to know this happened, including head coach Marcos Goto, and not doing anything about it, anything at all, just makes everything even more infuriating.