website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Finished the 4th and final season of 13 Reasons Why this week, pretty strong ending. Then I went to Wikipedia and under the critics header read that apparently there were a ton of negative reviews :lol: 

Some things, sure, but others were just absolute bullshit :d 

Spoiler

The final character dying was considered 'unfair' and people used that as criticism against the show. That is such insane bullshit, the freaking point of the death was for it to be unfair, it was meant to be unfair, that is exactly why it hit.

Another bullshit piece of criticism was the 'school shooting episode', which was deemed 'too realistic' and 'a potential trigger'. Yeah, no shit, the whole point was for it to be realistic. Again, it was an incredibly strong and awful (not in terms of quality, but in terms of genuinely feeling awful) episode that hit exactly where it needed to hit, absolute masterpiece.

I get that these things can be potential 'trauma triggers' for people who've been through actual rape, actual school shootings and so on, but every single person who goes and chooses to watch this show, knows that these things are addressed in a certain way. Every time things are portrayed in a detailed manner (or even 'only' discussed in detail), the episode starts with a very clear warning.

It is absolutely understandable for people to not be fine when watching certain things because of things happening to them, but then either don't watch the show, skip the episode and just read the plot and/or watch it with a trusted person if possible. There are warnings all over the place designed to give you the chance to make the choice not to watch something, don't use it as criticism against the show - the show would be a million times less strong if they toned any of these things down.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

What an incredible loss :cry:

I can’t believe it honestly. What a horrible fucking year. 

This man played so many iconic African American roles. I had no idea he was fighting cancer. My heart pours out for all of his loved ones and friends. He is gone way too soon.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The man who played Jackie Robinson died at age 42 on Jackie Robinson Day :cry:

I’m on the verge of tears right now. First we lose Kobe, and then we lose Chadwick. Two of the most iconic African American voices of my generation. It’s just a horrible, unfair, and tragic loss. I have more I want to say, but I just don’t have the words. Now I am crying writing this.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I paid my dues last night to Sir Christopher Nolan and finally returned to the cinema for Tenet. :)

Like with most Nolan films, i will probably need a second watch to fully understand what was happening. He just makes the most mind boggling themes so enjoyable. It was a 2.5 hour movies and i didn't notice the time at all. Knowing that he shoots everything with practical effects makes some of the scenes even more unbelievable. I won't say much, as to not spoil stuff, but there are little things scattered in the movie, that return later on with great writing.

In a time, when we get bombarded with hundreds of VOD / Netflix-esq forgettable films, i'm just glad we still have a few people like Nolan that can bring a big screen main event movie. 

Though the idea was interesting and (partially) well done, I'm really not buying that much into the hype. The characters were extremely uninteresting and the movie defied its own logic a few times. Sure some nice scenes, but if it wasn't for the special premise of the movie, it would feel rather boring.

The only person I know who actually went to see Tenet told us (colleagues) not to waste our time with it and said his sacrifice was enough. I'm not very motivated now to go and watch :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!