website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Vektor said:

Just put them in the Asian federation. That will probably be the solution anyway for both Russia and Belarus in football once the war is over and the dust settles, unless by some miracle there will be a regime change in these two countries, which is still very unlikely. 

There’s no worse insult you can throw at a Russian than accusing them of being “Asiatic”, so I doubt they’ll be happy.

8 hours ago, hckošice said:

Yeah this gonna be interesting, :SVK is scheduled to play its first match of the "C" League of Nations in June against :BLR ...

In short: We are not super hot to say the least to play against them, but we also want to return to the "B" division and in case of withdrawal in both matches Belarus (which should be the main rival for promotion) would win free 6 points and glue us in the "C" tier another cycle...so until UEFA will announce any other verdict and BLR is allowed to play then...

For now ...

from our federation the deal is that ... ok ... both matches against them will occur, but the away game must not be in Belarus (Red line) and both matches must be without Belarussian spectators (Red line 2)... which UEFA is apparently favorable to ;)

Yeah, for this kind of matches the best thing to do (if they're not being cancelled) might be to just ask every non-involved federation "Do you want to host these matches?" and randomly draw one from the countries who say "Yes", and play both matches there :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, for this kind of matches the best thing to do (if they're not being cancelled) might be to just ask every non-involved federation "Do you want to host these matches?" and randomly draw one from the countries who say "Yes", and play both matches there :p 

hold on..why both ?

why should we play our home game somewhere else ? :question:  We did not attack anyone as far as I know or nobody attacked anyone from our territory ? Why should we be punished ? 

37 minutes ago, hckošice said:

hold on..why both ?

why should we play our home game somewhere else ? :question:  We did not attack anyone as far as I know or nobody attacked anyone from our territory ? Why should we be punished ? 

:SVK obviously provoked the invasion by joining NATO rather than by letting itself be ruled by the Kremlin.

9 hours ago, hckošice said:

hold on..why both ?

Because I wrote wrong and it was late and I was sleepy and confused about the format and thought everyone would have two home games scheduled. Main point: I meant the (on paper) Belarussian home games :p 

Much better than cancelling them, anyway.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1121647/russia-successful-appeal-against-fil

Russia have won their first appeal against sporting bans in the sport of luge. I fear this is the first of many bans that will get overturned. I can see a lot of sports that get their bans overturned in disarray as most athletes will refuse to compete alongside their Russian counterparts.

It see sporting bodies simply withdrawing from CAS jurisdiction. I feel like CAS has decided to show it’s not biased by choosing a sport with no real activity until November instead of deciding on the many sports ongoing at the moment. But CAS knows it’s funding and backing would be gone if it made decisions many national governments would simply overturn at the border.