website statistics

Men's Baseball WBSC African/European Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019

phelps

12 hours ago, phelps said:

ISR vs RSA also rescheduled for noon CET tomorrow...

ESP vs CZE is still without an official start time...probably it will be played only if it's going to have an influence on the final ranking of the tournament after the other 2 games to be played tomorrow at lunch time are over...

ESP vs CZE has been officially rescheduled at 4 p.m. CET (still to be seen if they can play because of foreseen bad weather)...

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Italy pretty much has just as many Italian-Americans on the team, and even Venezuelans, but I guess Israel is easy to hate (as always).

in the teamplaying this OQT there are "only" 8 American born and 3 South American born guys out of 24 players...

less than half, which is one of the lowest percentages we've ever had in the last 30 years or so...

hopefully, at the next WBC we're going to be able to fill the roster with all US-born MLB players (but I fear our NF will reject this option)...

40 minutes ago, phelps said:

in the teamplaying this OQT there are "only" 8 American born and 3 South American born guys out of 24 players...

less than half, which is one of the lowest percentages we've ever had in the last 30 years or so...

hopefully, at the next WBC we're going to be able to fill the roster with all US-born MLB players (but I fear our NF will reject this option)...

Lol.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, Orisek said:

Any chances for CZE to finish first? Or we can play only for second now?

Hey, nice to see another Czech on this webside :-) ...... My information says, there is still a chance to win for Czechs. Firsly Israel must lose against South Africa. Then Italy must defeat Dutch and of course we must beat Spain. In this case, they will be matching statistics of won and lost games. And the decision maker will be a small table of statistics - according to my information it does not depend on how you played against other teams but mini table, where will be scored points, hits, etc ...... And I am giving a big chance to Czechs regarding this. Let's hope that everything will play according to our situation and we will make it to the Olympics. Or at least to the Final qualification tournament. 

5 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Hey, nice to see another Czech on this webside :-) ...... My information says, there is still a chance to win for Czechs. Firsly Israel must lose against South Africa. Then Italy must defeat Dutch and of course we must beat Spain. In this case, they will be matching statistics of won and lost games. And the decision maker will be a small table of statistics - according to my information it does not depend on how you played against other teams but mini table, where will be scored points, hits, etc ...... And I am giving a big chance to Czechs regarding this. Let's hope that everything will play according to our situation and we will make it to the Olympics. Or at least to the Final qualification tournament. 

first...

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

You can stop doing the calculations, as South Africa is expectedly being outclassed by the Israelis. :p

then...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

if more teams are tied at the end of the round robin, the tie breaker is the socalled Team Quality Balance (TQB)...

The official definition of TQB:

TQB is the sum of runs scored divided by the number of innings played on offense, minus the number of runs allowed, divided by the number of innings played on defense. For purposes of determining TQB, only the scores from the games between the tied teams are to be used in the calculation.”

Doesn't basketball have a rule limiting the no of  immigrants in a national team ? Funny how these "immigrants " are invariably African Americans who are usually in negligible numbers in the country's general  population .

I take the point about Chinese table tennis players being ubiquitous ( but every Western country especially the New World  countries do have large Chinese populations )

These Jewish American baseballers are not descendants  of Israelis  ( in the last thousand years at least ). Probably their families came from Eastern Europe 

Would it be so hard to devise a universal general rule for diaspora/immigrants eligibility for national teams ?

My (first ) suggestion is that a country cannot field a greater proportion of  foreign born in a national team than the proportion of  foreign born citizens  among all the citizens living in the country

So clearly countries like USA , Canada ,Australia could have a fair number . They are immigrant countries whish readily grant citizenship 

Countries like Qatar which may well have a huge foreign born population but  very few Foreign born citizens so would not have many

Diaspora producing countries like Italy and Greece would also have few . Maybe  nowadays they have many foreign born in the country but few are citizens 

Funny how a country like the UK which has a huge diaspora -perhaps the biggest (in Europe at least ) ? - doesn't seem to have that many Anglo  Americans / Canadians /Australians etc  in their teams  

Just now, rajiv said:

Doesn't basketball have a rule limiting the no of  immigrants in a national team ? Funny how these "immigrants " are invariably African Americans who are usually in negligible numbers in the country's general  population .

I take the point about Chinese table tennis players being ubiquitous ( but every Western country especially the New World  countries do have large Chinese populations )

These Jewish American baseballers are not descendants  of Israelis  ( in the last thousand years at least ). Probably their families came from Eastern Europe 

Would it be so hard to devise a universal general rule for diaspora/immigrants eligibility for national teams ?

My (first ) suggestion is that a country cannot field a greater proportion of  foreign born in a national team than the proportion of  foreign born citizens  among all the citizens living in the country

So clearly countries like USA , Canada ,Australia could have a fair number . They are immigrant countries whish readily grant citizenship 

Countries like Qatar which may well have a huge foreign born population but  very few Foreign born citizens so would not have many

Diaspora producing countries like Italy and Greece would also have few . Maybe  nowadays they have many foreign born in the country but few are citizens 

Funny how a country like the UK which has a huge diaspora -perhaps the biggest (in Europe at least ) ? - doesn't seem to have that many Anglo  Americans / Canadians /Australians etc  in their teams  

Basketball has a rule about naturalized players (no more than one), but they can't rule on those who are citizens from their birth (even if they asked for the official documents later in their life)...

they are 2 different situations...

by the way, all of our Diaspora guys are Italian citizens (otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to play for our NT under the IOC rules)...if you have true Italian blood/heritage, you are Italian...and citizenship is automatically granted, provided you ask for it...

all the other ways to get our citizenship are a different question...and it's not that easy to get it, especially if you come from a Country outside the European Union...

Edited by phelps