website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

4 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Mairaj Makes the final ( comes in second In the qualification round ) ...... final yet to come ....................... The second indian to make the final ....lets hope he makes a medal finally ...................

yup d fingers r crossed... :fingers::fingers:

India second in the womens weightlifting  olympic qualification standings after one event ...................... What is more important is that both sanjita chanu and mirakhom improved on their world championship weights ..... mirakhom 183 kgs  -> 190 kgs ............. awesome performance:clap: ............. This is  close to world championship medal weights ( the world championship no 4 lifted 191 kgs and the silver medalist lifted 194  ) .......................  I am dreaming of an olympic medal  in womens weightlifting once again... ....  This team is being coached by Kunjarani indias greatest weightlifter  and the results are showing............. just 3-4  more Kgs and mirakhom could win a medal at the olympics ,:clap: :clap:............ ( also sanjita showed tremendous improvement 179 -> 184 

Depressed by the mens weightlifting .... Jamjang deru had lifted 244 in mens weightlifting in 56 kg   in the world championship ....now we seem to have some mahajan who has lifted 235 ... a huge drop of 9 kgs .... I do not know what they are doing in mens we seem to be on a slow reverse ...... I feel we may not qualify we are now 7th after 56 which is India's pet event in men's 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

14 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

India second in the womens weightlifting  olympic qualification standings after one event ...................... What is more important is that both sanjita chanu and mirakhom improved on their world championship weights ..... mirakhom 183 kgs  -> 190 kgs ............. awesome performance:clap: ............. This is  close to world championship medal weights ( the world championship no 4 lifted 191 kgs and the silver medalist lifted 194  ) .......................  I am dreaming of an olympic medal  in womens weightlifting once again... ....  This team is being coached by Kunjarani indias greatest weightlifter  and the results are showing............. just 3-4  more Kgs and mirakhom could win a medal at the olympics ,:clap: :clap:............ ( also sanjita showed tremendous improvement 179 -> 184 

Depressed by the mens weightlifting .... Jamjang deru had lifted 244 in mens weightlifting in 56 kg   in the world championship ....now we seem to have some mahajan who has lifted 235 ... a huge drop of 9 kgs .... I do not know what they are doing in mens we seem to be on a slow reverse ...... I feel we may not qualify we are now 7th after 56 which is India's pet event in men's 

Its great!!! I hope they are clean and doping free!!!

7 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

After seeing the level of  our wrestlers  in the Greco barring a very slight chance in 59 rest looks tough almost impossible .................. 

In the freestyle three lower quotas closed ................... only satyawart has a chance ...............

so main hopes may be from the women ...they seemed to be doing OK and they met the end winner in almost 3 cases in the quarters ...... also vinesh over weight was a blow ... I feel we can hope for 1 women's quota ......................between . Vinesh , Geeta , Babita and Jyoti 

As Vinesh was given a warning and she was an offender for blowing the hopes of the Indians without even appearing on the mat, I think she will come back strongly mentally in the final qualifying event. She needs to prove something.

Edited by tirtha22

Athletics

1st Indian Grand Prix

Gold medalist in the women's 200m in the 2016 SAF Games, Srabani Nanda and men sprinter Amiya Kumar Mallick scorched the track in the 100m race for women and men respectively in the first Indian Grand Prix held here at the JN Stadium on Sunday.

Nanda, who was part of the Indian women 4x100m relay quartet which won the bronze medal in the 2010 Commonwealth Games, clocked 11.23sec (National record 11.38s) while Mallick stopped the watch at 10.09sec (National record 10.30s). In the other highlight of the day, Muhammed Anas clocked 45.41sec (National record 45.48s) in the men's 400m, ahead of Asian Games bronze medalist and favourite Arokya Rajiv, to take the first spot. Suriya Loganathan bagged the top spot in the women's 3000m with a performance of 9:04.45, the fourth best Indian timing recorded in this meet. However, all the four Indian bests were recorded manually as a power black-out in the stadium rendered the electronic timing system useless.

The 2016 Olympic Games qualification standards for men's and women's 100m sprints are 10.16sec and 11.32sec respectively, while the 400m cut-off stands at 45.40sec.

Nanda was followed by S Sini who clocked 11.53s while HImanshree Roy finished third with 11.74s. In the men's 100m, Vidhya Sagar from Navy finished second behind Mallick, with 10.30s while Vikas Ghulia took the third spot at 10.37s. In the men's 400m, Arokya took the second place, clocking 45.87, while Kunhu Muhammed finished third with 46.47s.

SAF Games Gold Medalist Neeraj Chopra threw 79.54m, unable to match the Olympic qualification standard of 83m in this outing, but the youngster will be definitely aiming to sail through in the forthcoming Federation Cup, to be held at the same venue from April 28-30. Meanwhile, women javelin thrower and Asian Games bronze medalist Annu Rani took the top position with 58.42m, but fell short of the Olympics qualification mark of 62 metres.

Anilda Thomas took the top honours in the women's 400m (52.93s), piping Asian Games bronze medalist and favourites M.R. Poovamma (53.05s., while Anu Raghavan took the third place (54.24s).

In the women's discus thrower, Navjeet Kaur Dhillon, who won the bronze medal at the 2014 IAAF World Junior Championships stole the thunder from 2010 CWG gold medalist Krishna Poonia, to take the top honours with a throw of 55.73 metres. Poonia managed a best throw of 55.22m on her comeback after two years.

It is unfortunate that these timings wont be considered for Olympic Qualification. Or else awesome performance specially in the short distance sprints.

Edited by tirtha22