website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

1 hour ago, gvaisakh said:

Guys.. Your opinion on the recent controversy of making Salman Khan as goodwill ambassador for Rio 2016

My views:

1) IOA should have appointed 1 from each field (sports, bollywood, music, arts, science) rather than concentrating on bollywood alone. Olympics is historic event and cannot be compared to IPL, ISL, HIL, PBL, etc

2) Salim Khan, father of Salman Khan, should apologize not only to Milkha Singh but to the entire nation for insulting a sporting legend

3) IOA should have considered Salman Khan's track record. In 2009, he became the brand ambassador of AIFF and it did no good in creating awareness or opportunities 

4) IOA is stating that they are now receiving corporate funding since appointment of Salman Khan, which is a good news. Will IOA ensure that these funds go to the athletes? Only 101 days remaining for Rio 2016 and I personally feel that the funds are coming at the 11th hour which will not benefit the athletes. If IOA felt that these funds would come, then why didn't they do this atleast a year ago so that our athletes could use these funds (provided it reach them) for high level abroad training

PS: 1 good thing coming out of this controversy - atleast few more people know that Olympics is approaching

@Prashanth @Dolby @nitinsanker @tirtha22 @Prakash @Harsh Shah @shrikant @Suneet

I think its one of the best ways to promote Olympics in India to appoint a person with bollywood background. But not the one having criminal records under him... Thats sad absolutely :(

1 hour ago, gvaisakh said:

Guys.. Your opinion on the recent controversy of making Salman Khan as goodwill ambassador for Rio 2016

My views:

1) IOA should have appointed 1 from each field (sports, bollywood, music, arts, science) rather than concentrating on bollywood alone. Olympics is historic event and cannot be compared to IPL, ISL, HIL, PBL, etc

2) Salim Khan, father of Salman Khan, should apologize not only to Milkha Singh but to the entire nation for insulting a sporting legend

3) IOA should have considered Salman Khan's track record. In 2009, he became the brand ambassador of AIFF and it did no good in creating awareness or opportunities 

4) IOA is stating that they are now receiving corporate funding since appointment of Salman Khan, which is a good news. Will IOA ensure that these funds go to the athletes? Only 101 days remaining for Rio 2016 and I personally feel that the funds are coming at the 11th hour which will not benefit the athletes. If IOA felt that these funds would come, then why didn't they do this atleast a year ago so that our athletes could use these funds (provided it reach them) for high level abroad training

PS: 1 good thing coming out of this controversy - atleast few more people know that Olympics is approaching

Your points are perfect

Adding Salman Khan may bring fund..that's good if it's been utilised for the real cause

But to popularize the Olympics sports..only to some extent..as south India doesn't follow him

It's only Media who can do this.. atleast now, some south Indian news channel started informing the Indians qualifying for Olympics which is good sign.

I also started posting Indian Sports results in facebook and Whatsapp.group which is very new to south Indians. Now I started getting good response for these and they stared sharing to others. Thanks to social media

Edited by Prakash

4 hours ago, gvaisakh said:

My views:

The Olympic athletes till now thought that Cricketers were the only stars in the country and they didnt get their due importance. Now above that comes the bollywood stars.

The Olympics and the multinational games ( and now the premier leagues ) are the only time of the year when these athletes come to limelight and feel special. So before going to Rio and representing the country , they need a hell lot of motivation so that they have a feeling that the entire nation is behind them and they are equally important. But in this case , a wrong message is sent to the athletes on the appointment of Salman Khan. And it is not wise to distract the athletes ( specially the medal hopes and star ones ) for some wrong reasons which might affect their preparation and concentration towards Rio.

Just a few month's back he came out of the controversy, I'm not sure the athletes competing would be happy about this decision as we saw Yogeshwar's re-action, bringing money, is he going to donate funds for the welfare of the athletes? if not any other top star could have been chosen, anyway I feel maybe someone like Big B would have generated more interest among the mass and even better sponsorship, still I'm fine and would be happy if he generates fund for athletes using his network, only that way this decision to bring him instead of ex- Olympians, shows some sense. The way I look at it is all about the amount of funds he is able to generate, nothing else matters.

He has got a good opportunity, I hope he grabs it with both hands because for me his mere presence hardly helps.

update from the Indian Olympics qualifiers weightlifting -  day 3 

Women -  thasana Chanu scored by world standards a pretty average 187 .........  but amongst the women qualifiers finished second for a valuable 25 points ....India is more less surely in for a quota ... as of now the only interest left is to see

1)   if we have any really good weightlifter by world standards ......other mirakhom / sanjita / punam  ( we need to have 4 good weightlifters to gain quotas ) 

2) if punam yadav improves on her world championship effort 

3) who comes first us or vietnam .............. vietnam is ahead as of now .......................

Men - Indian Men - Sambo did a great job to lift 287 ....... ( compared to pupul changmais  world championship effort in the same weights at 275 ) ..................by world standards a pretty average lift ................. but for India very valuable as it garnered 19 points .........................  This pushes India back into quota contention ...... specifically as Sri Lanka's one lifter did a no lift as did one saudi ...................... 

Indian Mens weightlifting is very interesting 

1) will we qualify ...................... after a couple of below par days Sambo did well ................... now satish , vikas and Venkata Ragala and Pardeep need to do well ..........

to qualify we need 6 weightlifters out of 8  to get 19 points on an average ............. we have got 2 ( out of 3 ) who got it deepak lather( 19 )   and now unexpectedly Sambo ( 19 )  ....... 

so it is very interesting .......................... also the fact that some of the sri lankan and KSA lifters did no lifts today helps india....... Malaysia , Iraq and japan I feel will be at 1-3  ...... so it will be  :SRI :TKM :IND   :KSA  :KGZ :PHI to fight it out for the next 4 places  ....it is neck to neck right now ...today Inched from a poor position to a better position ........................so good job SAMBO ............... 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

31 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

update from the Indian Olympics qualifiers weightlifting -  day 3 

Women -  thasana Chanu scored by world standards a pretty average 187 .........  but amongst the women qualifiers finished second for a valuable 25 points ....India is more less surely in for a quota ... as of now the only interest left is to see

1)   if we have any really good weightlifter by world standards ......other mirakhom / sanjita / punam  ( we need to have 4 good weightlifters to gain quotas ) 

2) if punam yadav improves on her world championship effort 

3) who comes first us or vietnam .............. vietnam is ahead as of now .......................

Men - Indian Men - Sambo did a great job to lift 287 ....... ( compared to pupul changmais  world championship effort in the same weights at 275 ) ..................by world standards a pretty average lift ................. but for India very valuable as it garnered 19 points .........................  This pushes India back into quota contention ...... specifically as Sri Lanka's one lifter did a no lift as did one saudi ...................... 

Indian Mens weightlifting is very interesting 

1) will we qualify ...................... after a couple of below par days Sambo did well ................... now satish , vikas and Venkata Ragala and Pardeep need to do well ..........

to qualify we need 6 weightlifters out of 8  to get 19 points on an average ............. we have got 2 ( out of 3 ) who got it deepak lather( 19 )   and now unexpectedly Sambo ( 19 )  ....... 

so it is very interesting .......................... also the fact that some of the sri lankan and KSA lifters did no lifts today helps india....... Malaysia , Iraq and japan I feel will be at 1-3  ...... so it will be  :SRI :TKM :IND   :KSA  :KGZ :PHI to fight it out for the next 4 places  ....it is neck to neck right now ...today Inched from a poor position to a better position ........................so good job SAMBO ............... 

Nice analysis

Feel pity for the Athletics participants from India who might have lost a few Rio Qualification marks due to poor show by the organisers ( power cut ) . I am not saying that they have surely crossed the olympic qualification marks as the calculation was done through handheld devices.  But who knows.. Some athletes might had qualified.:(

Odisha government has taken up the matter with the union ministry regarding the AFI fiasco. Apart from Srabani Nanda ,Odisha had been investing in Amiya Kumar Mallick silently for 3 long years preparing him for Rio.

Edited by tirtha22