website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, NearPup said:

:GBR Elise Christie, 2017 overall world champion in short track, has retired

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/59650586

I believe she has had try-outs & offers from other sports, so there may be more to come.

I have to say Christie's tactics were all wrong all the time. She always tried to storm from the back of the pack with two laps to go and these DQ almost always happen when people barge into each other for 2nd/3rd/4th place. She never tried to win from the front and that cost her all those OG medal chances.

10 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I have to say Christie's tactics were all wrong all the time. She always tried to storm from the back of the back with two laps to go and these DQ almost always happen when people barge into each other for 2nd/3rd/4th place. She never tried to win from the front and that cost her all those OG medal chances.

Not to speak ill of the retired, but she completely ruined the women's 500m final with an attempted pass that was so ill advised that you wouldn't be surprised to learn she was paid to take a dive.

:GRE Vasiliki Arvaniti (beach volleyball) - Three-time Olympian (Athens 2004, Beijing 2008, London 2012) and two-time European champion (2005 and 2007). She is 36 years old and after not qualifying for Tokyo it's not surprising that she retired, she already gave birth to her child and then came back to try to qualify for Tokyo but tore her ACL in late 2019 which made things difficult.