website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m curious if any other countries/states/regions 

/etc. have “dueling” holidays like we have in California/U.S today.

I was reminded today was Indigenous Peoples’ Day in California when my university welcomed indigenous groups to perform folk songs/dances on campus. However, other states and the federal government celebrate the day as Columbus Day, or in some cases, celebrate both as a holiday today. It’s a weird situation that rises from the legacy of colonization in the Americas and modern political discourse. I’m curious if there are situations of “duel” holidays like this in other places because it’s odd seeing different messaging for established holidays on the same day. 

May 3rd in Poland - Catholic feast of Queen Mary (to celebrate the victorious war vs Sweden in XVII century) and the Constitution Day to celebrate the 1791 Constitution. None of this has to do anything with current political discourse though May 3rd was strictly banned from celebrations during the communism era due to obvious anti-religious and anti-democratic stance.

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m curious if any other countries/states/regions 

/etc. have “dueling” holidays like we have in California/U.S today.

I was reminded today was Indigenous Peoples’ Day in California when my university welcomed indigenous groups to perform folk songs/dances on campus. However, other states and the federal government celebrate the day as Columbus Day, or in some cases, celebrate both as a holiday today. It’s a weird situation that rises from the legacy of colonization in the Americas and modern political discourse. I’m curious if there are situations of “duel” holidays like this in other places because it’s odd seeing different messaging for established holidays on the same day. 

Nice.

But try to beat a "Independence Day" national holiday of a non-existing country, celebrated in two different countries the same day :p

28th. October., The Establishment of Czechoslovakia :p

Almost 3 days without Slovak/Slovenian accidents, thankfully the record was not broken

Yesterday Slovenian minister of foreign was received in Skopje by her :MKD collegue :lol:

https://n1info.si/novice/svet/diplomatski-spodrsljaj-med-obiskom-tanje-fajon-v-severni-makedoniji/

a2brdve6fru91.jpg

a guy in Slovakia bet 44 matches with an eventual win of 300000 EUR...

The first days he predicted theright results, after half of his matches ended correctly he decided to not risk anymore and returned (sold) the ticket back to the betting company for 4000 EUR...

Imagine that, later he found out that he correctly predicted also all the remaining games :lol: Poor guy :p

The crazy ticket

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png