website statistics

Asian Games 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

45 minutes ago, dullard said:

Russia and Belarus to compete at the Asian Games for Paris 2024 qualification

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1138715/russia-belarus-asian-games-hangzhou-2022

does that mean they will take places on the quotas of asia ????

While Asian nations are more supportive than Europe for allowing Russia/Belarus back in, I'm surprised they would essentially give up continental quotas to them.

Unless the sport vetos, Russia/Belarus will likely take quotas in boxing, breaking and modern pentathlon

still waiting for OCA to confirm it and give us more details but the original decision was to allow them only participate in non-direct elimination sports (like boxing) they are not supposed to win "medal" so they only participate in sports where you can simply remove them from the ranking without changing things for the others. not possible in head-to-head matches.

this is a terrible idea. I'm totally OK if they join OCA and participate like all other countries but being a "guest" like this just for one time is terrible. that will be confusing for the spectators too. I hope they decline the invitation :pope:

If OCA decides to let Russia and Belarus compete especially in sports which award Olympic quotas, I think they should add more quotas, I find it unfair especially for smaller Asian countries if they would take quotas for Asia

still very confusing especially when it comes to continental quotas. My direct feeling is that Russia and Belarus only winning quotas through meeting standards like swimming and athletics. It sounds fair and acceptable for me. But boxing, sailing, modern pentathlon and breaking these continental quotas should only be given to OCA members.

• 2 weeks later...

12,500+ athletes entered to compete after the conclusion of the entries process. It would be a participation record and at least 1,200 more than 2018.

Link: https://ocasia.org/news/4150-hangzhou-asian-games-set-for-record-number-of-athletes.html

Some other highlights -

“The team size of six NOC delegations, including China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, India and Hong Kong, China, surpasses 600 athletes.

“Athletics is the most popular sport with 43 NOCs [out of 45] entering teams.”

“Eleven sports, including Boxing, Aquatics, Shooting, Weightlifting and E-sports, have attracted more than 30 NOCs.”

“Eleven sports, including Athletics, Aquatics and Fencing, have more than 300 athletes registered.”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

36 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

12,500+ athletes entered to compete after the conclusion of the entries process. It would be a participation record and at least 1,200 more than 2018.

Link: https://ocasia.org/news/4150-hangzhou-asian-games-set-for-record-number-of-athletes.html

Some other highlights -

“The team size of six NOC delegations, including China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, India and Hong Kong, China, surpasses 600 athletes.

“Athletics is the most popular sport with 43 NOCs [out of 45] entering teams.”

“Eleven sports, including Boxing, Aquatics, Shooting, Weightlifting and E-sports, have attracted more than 30 NOCs.”

“Eleven sports, including Athletics, Aquatics and Fencing, have more than 300 athletes registered.”

I swear the OCA said we are cutting back after 2018, but attracts 1,200 more athletes lol

It also confirms :PRK will compete

Edited by intoronto

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

I swear the OCA said we are cutting back after 2018, but attracts 1,200 more athletes lol

It also confirms :PRK will compete

The OCA doesn’t know the meaning of cutting back. What can you expect from the only Games that plans for a 32 team soccer tournament for men.

Edited by PHI2019