website statistics

Asian Games 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

I swear the OCA said we are cutting back after 2018, but attracts 1,200 more athletes lol

It also confirms :PRK will compete

They can't control the numbers as long as there is no qualification (since 1994 they are talking about having qualifiers)

but this is not the final number I believe some NOCs will cut their lists short when we get closer. 

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

but this is not the final number I believe some NOCs will cut their lists short when we get closer. 

Yeah, the event is still a fair distance away. Injuries, personal problems, political issues, etc. could shave some entries off before the Games begin. It’s just interesting to see the “original” entry figures.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Iran NOC announced their final list of sports  (well almost final. some changes are always possible) that's something around 270-280 athletes

Aquatics / Swimming 4, Diving 1, Water polo 13 (all male)

Archery / 6 M, 3 W

Athletics / 6 M, 2 W
Badminton / 1 M

Basketball / Men's team + Men's 3x3 team

Boxing / 5 M

Canoeing / 8 M, 7 W in sprint, 1 W in slalom

Chess / 5 M, 1 W

Cycling / 2 M (Track&Road) and 1 W (MTB)

Equestrian / will be decided later but I assume nobody

Fencing / 4 only in men's sabre

Football / men's team

Gymnastics / full or incomplete team in men's artistic
Handball / men's team

Judo / 2 M, 1 W

Jujitsu / 2 M

Kabaddi / both men and women team

Karate / 4 M, 4 W (it's possible to send the kata team if they give up a kumitee quota per OCA rules)

Kurash / 3M, 4 W (maximum possible number)

Roller sports / 2+2 confirmed in inline freestyle, possible to send 4+4 in speed skating

Rowing / 2 M, 6 W

Shooting / probably 8+8 but the final number will be confirmed later (after the WCh)

Sport climbing / for now 1+1 but possible to add 2 more men to have a speed relay team

Table Tennis / 3 M, 1 W

Taekwondo / probably a full team but they forgot to write the numbers for this one

Tennis / 1 W

Volleyball / men's team + 1 team in beach volley 

Weightlifting / 5 M, 2 W for now but it's possible to add 3 more

Wrestling / 12 M (full men's team)

Wushu / 8 M, 7 W

really disappointed with this, they "claim" for men they end only those who can compete for a medal (with few exceptions like swimming) and for women even top 6 finish will be enough. but yet they dropped women's handball (which finished 4th in Asian Champs twice) and it's not just that they are dropping even some of our small medal chances in other sports yet they are going to send 1 athlete in diving, 1 in Badminton, 1 in Tennis, to do what exactly ? just to increase the number of sports meanwhile decreasing the number of athletes? 

if I had to decide I would choose a complete different list. if we are going to send a not-so-big delegation, then swimming, diving, badminton, tennis and most importantly men's football shouldn't go. this U23 team sucks and everybody knows it. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Benolympique said:

no field hockey?

No, I assume draws for the other team sports (kabaddi, basketball, hockey, etc.) will be made at a later date. 

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Lol women's handball? China chose to be in a group with 6 teams?

Oca should really limit their team sports sizes

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Lol women's handball? China chose to be in a group with 6 teams?

Oca should really limit their team sports sizes

that's simply the easier group, Nepal, Hong Kong and India are like a walk in the park for them, of course they could qualify from the other group too but they decided to be in the same group with Japan to have two shots to make it the final. if they beat Japan, SF will be too easy for them, if they lose they still can try their chances against KOR. while in other group they could win it for sure but then it was just one chance in SF against either KOR or JPN.

it happens when only 3 teams are favorite for winning medals. and I think the final will be between Korea and Japan no matter how hard Chinese officials try :d

but they did a good job somehow cheating in the men's draw. putting KSA, Iran and Japan in the same group. eliminating one of the medal favorites early, which I'm afraid still won't be enough for the host team to win a medal. :d

ps: in AG they usually (I can say always) use the previous AG results for the seeding but this time and only in handball they used the previous Asian Champs which JPN didn't participate because of Covid. hard to believe that was just a coincident :d 

21 hours ago, MHSN said:

Iran NOC announced their final list of sports  (well almost final. some changes are always possible) that's something around 270-280 athletes

Aquatics / Swimming 4, Diving 1, Water polo 13 (all male)

Archery / 6 M, 3 W

Athletics / 6 M, 2 W
Badminton / 1 M

Basketball / Men's team + Men's 3x3 team

Boxing / 5 M

Canoeing / 8 M, 7 W in sprint, 1 W in slalom

Chess / 5 M, 1 W

Cycling / 2 M (Track&Road) and 1 W (MTB)

Equestrian / will be decided later but I assume nobody

Fencing / 4 only in men's sabre

Football / men's team

Gymnastics / full or incomplete team in men's artistic
Handball / men's team

Judo / 2 M, 1 W

Jujitsu / 2 M

Kabaddi / both men and women team

Karate / 4 M, 4 W (it's possible to send the kata team if they give up a kumitee quota per OCA rules)

Kurash / 3M, 4 W (maximum possible number)

Roller sports / 2+2 confirmed in inline freestyle, possible to send 4+4 in speed skating

Rowing / 2 M, 6 W

Shooting / probably 8+8 but the final number will be confirmed later (after the WCh)

Sport climbing / for now 1+1 but possible to add 2 more men to have a speed relay team

Table Tennis / 3 M, 1 W

Taekwondo / probably a full team but they forgot to write the numbers for this one

Tennis / 1 W

Volleyball / men's team + 1 team in beach volley 

Weightlifting / 5 M, 2 W for now but it's possible to add 3 more

Wrestling / 12 M (full men's team)

Wushu / 8 M, 7 W

really disappointed with this, they "claim" for men they end only those who can compete for a medal (with few exceptions like swimming) and for women even top 6 finish will be enough. but yet they dropped women's handball (which finished 4th in Asian Champs twice) and it's not just that they are dropping even some of our small medal chances in other sports yet they are going to send 1 athlete in diving, 1 in Badminton, 1 in Tennis, to do what exactly ? just to increase the number of sports meanwhile decreasing the number of athletes? 

if I had to decide I would choose a complete different list. if we are going to send a not-so-big delegation, then swimming, diving, badminton, tennis and most importantly men's football shouldn't go. this U23 team sucks and everybody knows it. 

That is a really suprising drop ... You did have I think almost 400

last time ... I think with team events in shooting just 8 shooters seem that you are surely dropping medals there .... Rowing seems you seem to be losing some medals there as well with just 2 men .... 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

23 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

That is a really suprising drop ... You did have I think almost 400

last time ... I think with team events in shooting just 8 shooters seem that you are surely dropping medals there .... Rowing seems you seem to be losing some medals there as well with just 2 men .... 

I assume we won't participate in shotgun and running target events. that number will cover all rifle/pistol events, right ? (except 25m rapid fire which doesn't exist here)

in rowing we mostly rely on the women's team. but still 2+6 looks too low :dunno:   it's not like our NOC has a clear plan and analyzed all athletes one by one to give a calculated number. they just threw these numbers at each federation and told them to fit their teams into it. :facepalm:

as someone who knows our strength in all sports I could make a much better delegation with something like 300 athletes. I really don't think those so called "experts" in the NOC have any idea about most of these sports. what the hell we can do with two male rowers ? send a double sculls team ? lightweight 2X ? I'm sure they have no idea how it works in rowing.

the current NOC president used to be in charge of our Paralympics program for years. I know how he thinks. he cares about " medal per athlete" rate. and wants to keep it high. :wall:  

I believe we are sending all of our gold medal chances, but keeping some of our small medal chances (mostly silver and bronze) at home. :mad: and yes with this mentality we will always remain weak in our weak sports.