website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2036 Bid Process

hckošice

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

It's odd, in a way, that the Commies, which would be a perfect trial run style event to show the IOC it can do this stuff, is kind of dying, when both South Africa and India could really do with that chance to show its stuff for future Olympics consideration (as Manchester CWG definitely helped UK fix its rather bad reputation back in the day).

India nearly had to withdraw from hosting the 2010 Commonwealth Games, and South Africa did withdraw from hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games. They may have inadvertently already told the IOC the information they wanted to know.

Edited by Olympian1010
I’m a dumbass who doesn’t double check spelling and dates.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Bach: “And for my last act as IOC President, I shall bankrupt one lucky African nation.” :p

None of those candidates seem like a shoe-in to me yet. Many of them will likely require infrastructure upgrades.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

It's odd, in a way, that the Commies, which would be a perfect trial run style event to show the IOC it can do this stuff, is kind of dying, when both South Africa and India could really do with that chance to show its stuff for future Olympics consideration (as Manchester CWG definitely helped UK fix its rather bad reputation back in the day).

That would require :RSA to organize the games or :IND to organize games that aren’t a disaster…

Let's get real, Poland won't host the Olympic Games in 2036 or any other Summer OG for that matter. That's a political pipe dream thrown out one month before the general elections :coffee:

We'd have a bigger shot at Winter OG (co-hosting with Slovakia ofc) despite only having one road from Kraków Airport to Zakopane :lol:

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

India nearly had to withdraw from hosting the 2019 Commonwealth Games, and South Africa did withdraw from hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games. They may have inadvertently already told the IOC the information they wanted to know.

I think you mean the 2010 Commonwealth Games in respect to India. I bring this up because that was a long time ago now, and it'll be even longer come 2036.  I don't think many would have expected China to host the Olympics in 1982 (same time difference).  I'm not saying this in support of an Indian bid, I'm just pointing out that 2010 is pretty much irrelevant now.  

I love Cape Town and it would be incredible to see the Games there, but I agree that it might not be ready yet. I still want Istanbul to host, it's such an incredible city at a cultural crossroads.  

Poland is interesting, and there's no obvious outsider reason it shouldn't host, but I'll leave its real motivations and finances to people who know better. Budapest is lovely and have done a great job in recent years with Aquatics and Athletics. 2036 might be time to return to the Far East, but having a similar timezone as Brisbane 32 might not make Europeans or Americans happy. If it's Qatar we riot. 

Of course, unofficially, where the Winter Games will be in 2030 and 2032 will also influence these decisions. It'll be interesting to see.  

6 hours ago, dullard said:

Out of these I'd like to see Turkey or India. It'll be too soon after Brisbane for Indonesia, South Korea or China.

Not Hungary? One of the largest nations (sports-wise) to never host the Olympics.

To me, Mexico would also come quite quickly after LA and Qatar.. well.. please no.

The only ones out of the ones revealed who would realistically be able to host and make a profit are :CHN, :KOR and maybe :MEX, the rest would have to be prepared to make a loss. Wonder what's gonna happen to the :GBR bid Sadiq Khan said we were preparing.