website statistics

Women's Volleyball FIVB Olympic Qualification Tournaments 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

8 hours ago, Josh said:

9 days away :cheer:

No real expectations here from a Canadian perspective, Our best shot at qualification is if Gray is fully healthy and competing (got injured at NORCECA Championships, unsure if it's serious though). We'll most likely have to beat at least two (probably more) of Serbia, host China, the Dominican Republic, and the Netherlands, which will be tough but doable with the momentum our NT has been gaining. 

Best case scenario (outside of qualifying directly) for us would be hoping that the Netherlands or the Dominican Republic don't qualify (preferably both, we're about 40 points behind them for the final two World Rankings quotas, assuming six of the top eight qualify through the OQT), and defeating all of the other mediocre teams (Czech Republic, Ukraine, Mexico) along with one (or two) of Dominican Republic/Netherlands. 

Don't underestimate the teams of Czech Republic (who won against Germany at the ECh) and especially Ukraine. I think all the teams in this group will have to play at a good level to beat these teams. 

Will be a close battle, but in the end I predict :SRB and :CHN to win the quotas.

In the other groups:

B: :TUR and :BRA, but watch out for :BEL 

C: :USA and :POL 

3 minutes ago, CCB said:

Don't underestimate the teams of Czech Republic (who won against Germany at the ECh) and especially Ukraine. I think all the teams in this group will have to play at a good level to beat these teams. 

Will be a close battle, but in the end I predict :SRB and :CHN to win the quotas.

In the other groups:

You're absolutely right, my mistake for calling Ukraine and Czech Republic "mediocre" teams. But against Mexico, anything less than a 3-0 win would be a disappointment IMO.

3 hours ago, CCB said:

In the other groups:

Belgium? They lost four of their six matches at the EuCh, while playing at home. OTOH, they played a great game against Turkey, nearly taking it to 5 sets.

2 hours ago, Noorderling29 said:

Belgium? They lost four of their six matches at the EuCh, while playing at home. OTOH, they played a great game against Turkey, nearly taking it to 5 sets.

Yes, Belgium, when their star player Britt Herbots is able to play, Belgium can surprise a lot of teams, however they messed up their home European Champs. :JPN is also in this group, they didn't impress either in their continental tournament. 

But normally :TUR and :BRA will get the quotas.

57 minutes ago, CCB said:

Yes, Belgium, when their star player Britt Herbots is able to play, Belgium can surprise a lot of teams, however they messed up their home European Champs. :JPN is also in this group, they didn't impress either in their continental tournament. 

But normally :TUR and :BRA will get the quotas.

I know Germany was a big disappointment at European Championships. Do they still have a realistic chance? It certainly didn't help for the rankings.

4 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

I know Germany was a big disappointment at European Championships. Do they still have a realistic chance? It certainly didn't help for the rankings.

In my opinion it depends on Hannah Ohrtmann can compete or not. She got injured at the ECh, hopefully she is able to play. Though competition nevertheless for Germany with Poland (and their crazy but lovely home crowd), USA and Italy. But :ITA is not in a good shape and Paola Egonu is not selected. I would even select her with a broken foot, but the Italian coach decided not to. :USA as well is not in the best form, they lost the final of the Continental championships against Dominican Republic. 

All by all Germany has a chance, but it will be very difficult.

6 minutes ago, CCB said:

In my opinion it depends on Hannah Ohrtmann can compete or not. She got injured at the ECh, hopefully she is able to play. Though competition nevertheless for Germany with Poland (and their crazy but lovely home crowd), USA and Italy. But :ITA is not in a good shape and Paola Egonu is not selected. I would even select her with a broken foot, but the Italian coach decided not to. :USA as well is not in the best form, they lost the final of the Continental championships against Dominican Republic. 

All by all Germany has a chance, but it will be very difficult.

and :CHN just lost to :THA the Asian Champs final, so...don't underestimate the Thai girls :p

however, I think in the end :CHN & :SRB + :BRA & :TUR + :USA & :ITA / :POL will be the lucky 6

if there will be some upsets, it's going to be :NED beating :CHN and/or :JPN beating :TUR 

I don't see any other "small" team doing it

So many people underestimating :DOM ... 

They beat China, Netherlands, Canada, and Serbia (with Boskovic) in 5 at VNL, as well as defeating United States in 5, and Canada in 4 (Gray got injured midway through set 3 though, and didn't return to the match) at the NORCECA Championships. That, along with Bethania De La Cruz's return to international competition should make for a squad capable of contending for an Olympic quota.

Edited by Josh