website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

1) None of these sports are confirmed until the session, correct? So there is still a chance that one or two of these team sports will be left off.

2) I agree that adding four team sports will inflate the athlete quota and cost some individual sports quota spots.

3) Some random thoughts...

• Flag Football - I think people need to understand that American tackle football and flag football are actually two completely different sports. A team of "pro" flag players would wipe the floor with a team made up of NFL guys. Also, flag in the United States is driven by the female market. So many girls are playing flag that colleges and high schools now have teams. The biggest flag football league in the United States, USA Flag, caters all of their tournaments towards women. Women get better game times and fields at these tournaments. Also, an eight team tournament could be done in two days. Finally, the US teams don't exactly dominate flag football. The Mexican women won gold at the last World Games, and flag is a sport where athletes from other countries can pick up and excel easily if given enough time to fine-tune their skills. Pretty much checks all of the IOC's boxes.

• Cricket - I think it's pretty cool that cricket has a shot at inclusion in the Games. How did we not see this coming with the IOC session being in India, and the 2032 games in Australia? I understand that there is a ton of money involved, but it's nice to see something not so Euro-centric get the nod. I'm sure the US press will have fun covering it. Interested to see what the US team will look like.

• Squash - Speaking of getting nods. It's nice to see the sport on the verge of getting in after so many tries. It's almost like a reversal of the IOC's youth and urban agenda - as Squash tends to be a country club sport in the States.

• Baseball/Softball - Might be the last time we see these two on the program for maybe ever. Why not just go out with a bang and bring in MLB players? The game is global enough to do that. Just move the All-Star break to August. The MLB season already goes to November as it is. Might be the WBSC only hope to keep the sports on future programs. 

• Lacrosse - This one is a head-scratcher for me, especially with the limit on athlete quotas. I didn't think the LAOC was going to go with three "American sports" on the program, and fully believed that lacrosse - which is an east coast dominant sport, btw - was the odd man out. It's not nearly as global as any of the other sports vying for spots. Regardless, 6's is cool and should be fun to watch, just hate to see other individual sports getting their quotas cut.  

3 hours ago, John Foyne said:

Flag Football - I think people need to understand that American tackle football and flag football are actually two completely different sports.

I think this is clear, but, I guess more people watching LA28 will wonder why they both are called football though :p

4 hours ago, John Foyne said:

1) None of these sports are confirmed until the session, correct? So there is still a chance that one or two of these team sports will be left off.

Yes, that is correct.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, John Foyne said:

Lacrosse - This one is a head-scratcher for me, especially with the limit on athlete quotas. I didn't think the LAOC was going to go with three "American sports" on the program, and fully believed that lacrosse - which is an east coast dominant sport, btw - was the odd man out. It's not nearly as global as any of the other sports vying for spots. Regardless, 6's is cool and should be fun to watch, just hate to see other individual sports getting their quotas cut.  

There’s definitely been some growth in the sport on the West Coast. There are many high schools and universities with teams in the LA Metro Area. It’s more common than field hockey or handball, which are probably the most invisible team sports on the program in this part of the United States. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, John Foyne said:

2) I agree that adding four team sports will inflate the athlete quota and cost some individual sports quota spots.

3) Some random thoughts...

• Flag Football - I think people need to understand that American tackle football and flag football are actually two completely different sports. A team of "pro" flag players would wipe the floor with a team made up of NFL guys. Also, flag in the United States is driven by the female market. So many girls are playing flag that colleges and high schools now have teams. The biggest flag football league in the United States, USA Flag, caters all of their tournaments towards women. Women get better game times and fields at these tournaments. Also, an eight team tournament could be done in two days. Finally, the US teams don't exactly dominate flag football. The Mexican women won gold at the last World Games, and flag is a sport where athletes from other countries can pick up and excel easily if given enough time to fine-tune their skills. Pretty much checks all of the IOC's boxes.*

• Cricket - I think it's pretty cool that cricket has a shot at inclusion in the Games. How did we not see this coming with the IOC session being in India, and the 2032 games in Australia? I understand that there is a ton of money involved, but it's nice to see something not so Euro-centric get the nod. I'm sure the US press will have fun covering it. Interested to see what the US team will look like.

• Squash - Speaking of getting nods. It's nice to see the sport on the verge of getting in after so many tries. It's almost like a reversal of the IOC's youth and urban agenda - as Squash tends to be a country club sport in the States.

• Baseball/Softball - Might be the last time we see these two on the program for maybe ever. Why not just go out with a bang and bring in MLB players? The game is global enough to do that. Just move the All-Star break to August.** The MLB season already goes to November as it is. Might be the WBSC only hope to keep the sports on future programs. 

• Lacrosse - This one is a head-scratcher for me, especially with the limit on athlete quotas. I didn't think the LAOC was going to go with three "American sports" on the program, and fully believed that lacrosse - which is an east coast dominant sport, btw - was the odd man out. It's not nearly as global as any of the other sports vying for spots. Regardless, 6's is cool and should be fun to watch, just hate to see other individual sports getting their quotas cut.  

* no, it doesn't

one of the most important boxes to check is how much "global" is the sport?

and FF is definitely inexistent outside USA and CAN

**or just get rid of it :p (at least for that season, but I'd cancel any ASG in any sport forever...it has nothing to do with actual sport)

So, it has been confirmed 

All 5 additional sports approved (expected)

reinstatement of Modern Pentathlon and Weightlifting 

boxing still on hold but seems safe under the governance of IOC

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1141685/ioc-eb-boxing-back-on-hold

7 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

So to make it clear 5 new sports are officially added to Olympic Program or there's still room to change thing on IOC meeting on Monday 

Not official yet but as good as 100%. There is a very low chance the general IOC members vote against the recommendation from the Eb