website statistics

Ski Jumping at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

OK guys, now it's time to ask the obvious question :d

can someone tell me (as someone who watches Ski Jumping here and there but don't know all the details) what the hell happened ? I read about suitviolation but why we had so many in one competition ? do they had some special rules for this mixed event ? why these girls didn't get disqualified in their individual events if they used the same suit?

3 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Honestly this would have been an amazing result for Canada even without the disqualifications. Beating Czechia and Poland was really impressive for a tiny, underfunded program.

Polish women have taken a massive step backwards under Kruczek in the last two seasons :lol:

As for Canada, Boyd-Clowes is a well known stalwart and Soukup is well, in the "someone has to miss the Q cut" category but I really thought Strate & Loutitt are actually older. I was shocked to learn the latter barely turned 18 last month.

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

OK guys, now it's time to ask the obvious question :d

can someone tell me (as someone who watches Ski Jumping here and there but don't know all the details) what the hell happened ? I read about suitviolation but why we had so many in one competition ? do they had some special rules for this mixed event ? why these girls didn't get disqualified in their individual events if they used the same suit?

DSQ for suits is always a grey area and the unofficial word is that top nation jumpers never get DSQ unless they don't have a chance for a medal anyway. I'd guess someone told the tech delegate (who was a Pole for the women) to play hardball by the rules this time.

27 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

DSQ for suits is always a grey area and the unofficial word is that top nation jumpers never get DSQ unless they don't have a chance for a medal anyway. I'd guess someone told the tech delegate (who was a Pole for the women) to play hardball by the rules this time.

The German coach said after 1st jump that Iraschko, Althaus and Takanashi all had the same suits as in the single's event. Althaus said that she had the feeling that the tech delegate controlled her as long as the delegate was able to find something. I don't know what happened. The only thing being sure is that the controls were conducted differently from all other events before.

Of course the coaches are shocked, they are so used to having their tricks pass all the time. The problem i have is that they should have had the same standard in the individual competition and layed out beforehand, that things will be stricter.

This suit number is the oldest trick in book. It's not something much different than things in boxing and weightlifting, but because it has the "correct" nations at the top, it's in a cushy spot. Like i said before, don't expect any explanation, facts, what happened, in tradition with Sepp Gratzer's 26 year inspection in locked rooms.

16 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

The German coach said after 1st jump that Iraschko, Althaus and Takanashi all had the same suits as in the single's event. Althaus said that she had the feeling that the tech delegate controlled her as long as the delegate was able to find something. I don't know what happened. The only thing being sure is that the controls were conducted differently from all other events before.

Anyone who follows ski jumping knows those tech controls could get weird and FIS always has the last laugh in the end. Something was definitely up and Horngacher might really regret the Willingen witch hunt. I suppose FIS got upset with all the snitching and went nuclear at the WOG of all places. I wonder if this was to stop the top teams from spying on each other.

47 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Ah yes, the times of Zografski being DQ-ed every 3 races for years, while some people looked like using sheets in their jumps :d

55 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

And they used the same suit for second jump, did they? Or does Takanashi and Iraschko-Stolz and Stroem and Opseth change them in between? Why once DSQ and once not?

It's so inconsistent. Probably worse than covid-tests.

@rafalgorka could be have a poll about who really deserved medal in mix-jumping? :yes

29 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Anyone who follows ski jumping knows those tech controls could get weird and FIS always has the last laugh in the end. Something was definitely up and Horngacher might really regret the Willingen witch hunt. I suppose FIS got upset with all the snitching and went nuclear at the WOG of all places. I wonder if this was to stop the top teams from spying on each other.

Rules should be respected, no discussion about that. But it is crazy to change the standards within 2 days at the same event. When a suit is considered to be okay at the single's event, the athletes have to rely that one and the same suit is still okay 2 days later.

After all, these Olympics must feel very strange for Althaus. Winning a silver is really great, on the one hand. However, she had bad luck to say the very least in both her events.

Whatever. The DQ's are overshadowing that Slovenia was absolutely the best team today and Gold is more than deserved. Even without DQ's but with Kramer it would have been very hard for AUT to win Gold today.