website statistics

Ski Jumping at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

I assume even Canadian users here wouldn't have recognized Boyd-Clowes if he walked past them on the street but in 2015 he was forced to start a crowd-funding campaign just to buy plane tickets to attend World or Continental Cups in Europe (he sat out 2014/15 season alltogether). Back then Taylor Henrich was the best Canadian female jumper and even had two World Cup podiums in 2015 but she has retired after 2018 WOG at the age of 23. At least the article predicted that Abigail Strate will be the best among the next generation. Natalie Eilers used to be Canadian #2 but she was displaced by Loutitt before this season.

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/mackenzie-boyd-clowes

Maybe anyone is interested from what I watch in Japanese TV recordings:

Noriaki Kasai is the special announcer here and he visited the ski jumping venue, surprising Ito Yuki and interviewed by Polish TVP in the process. When Kasai met Kobayashi Ryoyu who just finished his training, his advice to Kobayashi was 'go back with ease, drink some delicious miso soup and eat dry natto for energy'. 

Tonight I went out with some British and South African friends and on the Chinese news on the TV in the restaurant they showed Canada winning the ski jump medal (only the Canadian team).  This was in the middle of short track and Eileen Gu news.  Everyone was impressed, and I was impressed that they made a point to show every Canadian jump on Chinese news.  

I had already screamed the news of the medal to my friends the night before, so they knew but they got to see the jumps for the first time.  Told them it was like South Africa winning a curling medal or GB winning a hockey medal.  Unbelievable.

12 hours ago, Griff88 said:

Maybe anyone is interested from what I watch in Japanese TV recordings:

Noriaki Kasai is the special announcer here and he visited the ski jumping venue, surprising Ito Yuki and interviewed by Polish TVP in the process. When Kasai met Kobayashi Ryoyu who just finished his training, his advice to Kobayashi was 'go back with ease, drink some delicious miso soup and eat dry natto for energy'. 

What's the Japanese media take on Sara? Based on her instagram she's thinking of quiting the sport. Did Kasai say anything about her? 

9 hours ago, orangeman said:

Tonight I went out with some British and South African friends and on the Chinese news on the TV in the restaurant they showed Canada winning the ski jump medal (only the Canadian team).  This was in the middle of short track and Eileen Gu news.  Everyone was impressed, and I was impressed that they made a point to show every Canadian jump on Chinese news.  

I had already screamed the news of the medal to my friends the night before, so they knew but they got to see the jumps for the first time.  Told them it was like South Africa winning a curling medal or GB winning a hockey medal.  Unbelievable.

Well, there was a time :CAN was pretty good in ski jumping. Horst Bulau won 13 World Cup events in the 80s and the youngest ever World Cup winner is still from Canada too (Stephen Collins, Lahti 1980).

5 hours ago, FireRun said:

What's the Japanese media take on Sara? Based on her instagram she's thinking of quiting the sport. Did Kasai say anything about her? 

When interviewed Sara said she has worked hard for the jump from zero in the last 4 years, and the support from people around her made her continue. So she apologized for failing to meet the expectation and disappointing her supporters. She did not say anything about quitting.

Kasai said that just by looking at her he can feel her regret and understood well that feeling.

Not much reaction in that show because the TV station which broadcasted the ski jumping competitions is not the same where Kasai was invited. But generally the Japanese public are supportive to her, and media was busy with the mixed team disquaification

10 hours ago, orangeman said:

We’ve already got one, we’re not greedy.  :thumbup:

On 2/8/2022 at 5:17 PM, orangeman said:

You told them wrong. :p

South Africa doesn't even have a curling team, while GB can't qualify in hockey like Canada did in ski jumping. A more fair comparison would be like Estonia winning a medal in the biathlon mixed relay. ;)

#banbestmen