website statistics

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to:

• Post replies and open new threads
  • Give reputation to other members' posts
  • Get your own private messenger
  • Manage your profile

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign In | Create an Account

Wumo

[FANTASY CONTESTS] Biathlon Manager Game Discussion Thread

11 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I am in.  Another thought would be something like this.  

1 from 1-10

2 from 11-30

2 from 31-60

If you really want to make it interesting, take JT Boe and Fourcade out of contention.

As I have thought about this again, since you are only giving points for the top 20 spots, something more like this

1 from 1-10

3 from 11-30

1 from 31-60

This will be great, and looking very much forward to new season.

Perhaps some reminder a month/two weeks/week or so before the start?

Just now, Kirkpatrick said:

This will be great, and looking very much forward to new season.

Perhaps some reminder a month/two weeks/week or so before the start?

I will come with a reminder a month before the season starts. 

If you have any suggestions to the rules or points systems, feel free to come with them.

Also, If you, or anyone else, know some biathlon fans outside the forum, it would be great if they would participate in the manager game when we are getting closer to the season start. 

Will invite people if I find someone, but this is my go-to forum for biathlon so not sure how successful will I be. I do read Real Biathlon forums as well, but just a lurker there.

I think it should be called "Fantasy Game" instead of "Manager Game" but that's the least important thing ;) I love such a kind of game but I have two problems with them - one is that I usually take to my team athletes I like personally than those who may give me more points, two is that I often forget about the contest in the middle of the season (like I did with ski jumping fantasy during the 4 Hills Tournament). But of course I am keen on this game next season.

I guess I kind of promised to come with a second draft of this game a month before the start of the WC season, so here it as promised. 

This is the second and hopefully last draft of Biathlon Manager Game

Hey everyone!

I have long thought about creating a manager game, and why not start with probably my favorite sport, Biathlon. The Biathlon Manager Game or BMG will be a season long manager game that will test every user/manager’s ability to create the most point-giving biathlon team throughout the IBU Biathlon World Cup season.

Rules and systems of the BMG will be explained in the following part:

1. Creating your biathlon team

Your biathlon team will consist of 5 female and 5 male biathletes. You are only allowed to select 2 biathletes from the same nation. Only 1 male and 1 female biathlete from the same nation are allowed. 2 male or 2 female biathletes are not allowed. For the first World Cup round, managers can select a maximum of 3 biathletes from the template below:

Nation Biathlete Placement in Last Season's WC
 Women
:ITA  Dorothea Wierer 1.
:ITA  Lisa Vittozzi 2.
:NOR  Marte Olsbu Roeiseland 4.
:SWE  Hanna Oeberg 5.
:SVK  Paulina Fialkova 6.
:FIN  Kaisa Makarainen 7.
:GER  Denise Herrmann 8.
:GER  Franziska Preuss 9.
:POL  Monika Hojnisz-Starega 10.
Men
:NOR  Johannes Thingnes Boe 1.
:RUS  Alexander Loginov 2.
:FRA  Quentin Fillon Maillet 3.
:FRA  Simon Desthieux 4.
:GER  Arnd Peiffer 5.
:NOR  Tarjei Boe 6.
:GER  Benedikt Doll 7.
:AUT  Simon Eder 8.
:AUT  Julian Eberhard 9.
:ITA  Lukas Hofer 10.

For every World Cup Round, managers select one male captain and one female captain. See 2e for points.

1. Point Systems

a) Points for Individual races (Individual, Sprint, Pursuit and Mass Start)

Place

b) Points for Shooting (Individual, Sprint, Pursuit and Mass Start)

Description

For every target hit

Bonus: 10/10 targets hit (Sprint)

Bonus: 20/20 targets hit (Individual, Pursuit and Mass Start)

Sprint Example:

Biathlete 1’s shooting: 0+2 = 16 points

Biathlete 2’s shooting: 0+0 = 30 points

Individual/Pursuit/Mass Start Example:

Biathlete 1’s shooting: 0+2+1+1 = 32 points

Biathlete 2’s shooting: 0+0+0+0 = 60 points

c) Course Time Points (Sprint, Individual and Mass Start)

The biathletes with the 10 fastest course times in a race will be awarded as follow:

Place

d) Points for Position in Pursuit

Description

For at least keeping his/her place/position in the pursuit

For taking 5 places (Start in Top 21)

For taking 10 places (Start in Top 21)

For taking 20 places (Start in Top 21)

For taking 5 places (Start outside Top 21)

For taking 10 places (Start outside Top 21)

For taking 20 places (Start outside Top 21)

Example with d):

Biathlete 1’s pursuit: Start: 14, Finish: 6 = 5+8 = 13 points

Biathlete 2’s pursuit: Start 11, Finish 13 = 0 points

Biathlete 3’s pursuit: Start 30, Finish 17 = 5+6.5 = 11.5 points

Biathlete 4’s pursuit: Start 27, Finish 27 = 5 points

e) Captain Bonus

For every World Cup Round, managers select one male captain and one female captain. The selected captains will double their points for their placements in individual races. See 2a.

Notice! Captains will not double their scores in other categories of the point system.

f) Relays in any format will not count for any points in BMG.

3) Transfer system

a) The transfer window is open from the last race in a WC round has been completed to the start of the next race in the following WC round. Example: A WC round ends Sunday, January 15th, the next race starts Thursday, January 19th, 11:00. Transfer window closes Thursday, January 19th, 11:00.

b) Every user/manager can maximum switch out 2 biathletes on their team in one transfer window.

c) Every user/manager can make maximum 12 transfers in total during the whole season.

d) The rules in 1) must not be violated.

e) Users/Managers can earn or lose points when they switch a biathlete on their team out with another biathlete.

Example:

User 1: Biathlete 1 has scored 180 points. User 1 chooses to switch out biathlete 1 with biathlete 2, who has scored 100 points. User 1 earns 80 points to his total score.

User 2: Biathlete 3 has scored 50 points. User 2 chooses to switch out biathlete 3 with biathlete 4, who has scored 120 points. User 1 loses 70 points to his total score.

f) If a user/manager violates b), he/she will be deducted 50 points for every extra transfer.

If a user/manager violates c), he/she will be deducted 100 points for every extra transfer.

4)   Ranking/Standing

a) Points for every biathlete will be updated after every competition/race in this document: BMG Biathlete Points (1) (2) (1) (1) (1) (1).xlsx

b) Points for every biathlete will be updated after every competition/race within five hours after the end of the competition/race. Exception! If the host of the BMG is hindered due to studies, job or other activities, the ranking/standing will be updated at an announced time in a post in the BMG Discussion Thread. So remember to check it!

c) The standing for users/managers will updated after every competition/race within five hours after the end of the competition/race. Exception! In case of two races are held on the same day, the standing will be updated after the last race have been completed. Also, see 4b

d) The biathletes will not be ranked according to their total points. Biathletes will be sorted after nationality.  

5) Mistakes and Problems

a)  Mistakes with points for biathletes, or users/mangers, can be reported to the host of the BMG in the Discussion thread or via a personal message with the headline “Mistake”

b) The deadline for reporting any mistakes with points to the host of the BMG is 24 hours before the start of the upcoming WC round. Example: Men’s Sprint, Thursday January 25th 12:30, deadline is Wednesday January 24th 12:30.

c) Any mistakes not reported before the end of the deadline will count and cannot be changed.

d) If the site is down for a longer period for all users, the BMG will be stopped immediately, and not continue until all participants can log on the site again.

6) Final standing

After the last race of the World Cup season has been completed, the final standing of BMG will be published as quickly as possible. The winning manager will be the one who has managed to score most points overall by either having chosen the biathletes who have performed best according to the point systems, scored points via the transfer system or has performed well in both categories. The winner will have the honor of calling him-or herself a true biathlon manager, or just someone who is really good at this particular game.

Will someone keep track of the number of transfers someone has made?

Just now, heywoodu said:

Will someone keep track of the number of transfers someone has made?

Yes, I will. Every time a manager makes a transfer via PM to me, I will inform them how many transfer they have left.  

• Thanks 1