website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 News

23 minutes ago, NearPup said:

38,000 seats for swimming is going to be insane!

Other hugely important change - athletics will be in the first week and swimming will be in the second week. This is to acomodate the swimming venue also being used for the opening ceremony.

So, the first week is going to be even more crowded, given that athletics airs 6-7 hours a day, while swimming is around 3.5 hours. Just make it 3 full weeks for Pete's sake!

1 hour ago, canadafan2024 said:

https://la28.org/en/newsroom/la28-updates-venue-plan.html

Highlights: Canoe slalom and softball in Oklahoma City, swimming in SoFi (Rams/Chargers stadium), basketball at new Clippers arena

Very interesting. After swimming in Lucas Oil they saw how awesome it can be and want to take it once step further

I love that some more fun sports head to Sepulveda Basin, 10 minutes away from my house.   

It's good that gymnastics moved to Staples Center but now I hope volleyball moves to the forum. It's way too far in orange county. Though Honda center is a much better facility

If they moved equestrian to Temecula, why is tennis still in carson?? Indian wells is one of the biggest tennis stadiums in the world. Granted it's going to be hotter then hell there but Temecula is not far away from there

5 minutes ago, Book said:

These all are sensible updates. Not surprised they released these plans while the swim trials are being held a Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. That was clearly a test run for swimming at SOFI and a very successful one. Diving will move to the original Olympic pool behind Memorial Coliseum. That venue will need a big renovation but it nicely clustered. 

The other big change is Gymnastics at Staples/Crypto.com/Downtown Center. Gymnastics is the premier arena sport at the games so only right for it to move to the premier indoor venue in LA. The new Clippers arena is looking like a great place to watch Basketball, taking a lot of cues from European and college sports arena design to make things much more intimate.  

Sepulveda switched from equestrian and shooting to skateboarding, archery, and BMX race and freestyle. Sucks that skateboardings not at Venice beach, but the Sepulveda Dam area has a good aesthetic for those kinds of sports between park and concrete. I wonder if they're allowed to put venues on or near the spillway?

I don't know what Oklahoma City did to get softball and slalom, but if they want it they can have it.

Assuming these changes remain the other events left without a venue are: Flag Football, Cricket, Lacrosse, Squash, Baseball, Sport Climbing, and Surfing. I would have thought one of Flag Football or Lacrosse would get into SOFI but looks like the stadium is fully booked for swimming. Rose Bowl now? 

Here's the letter with full details and budget estimations:
https://la28.org/content/dam/latwentyeight/newsroom/news-stories/LA28VenuePlanAmendment.pdf

Baseball is very obvious to dodger stadium.   Flag Football or Lacrosse can go to Carson after or before Rugby.   Or UCLA

23 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

If they moved equestrian to Temecula, why is tennis still in carson?? Indian wells is one of the biggest tennis stadiums in the world. Granted it's going to be hotter then hell there but Temecula is not far away from there

Temecula is still about an hour and half drive (or more) away from Indian Wells, and that's if you take the mountain roads.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Temecula is still about an hour and half drive (or more) away from Indian Wells, and that's if you take the mountain roads.

Is it ?   I guess it's also 20 degrees cooler then hell on earth palm springs.   So never mind that 

Just now, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Is it ?   I guess it's also 20 degrees cooler then hell on earth palm springs.   So never mind that 

Here it's 14 c and raining...