website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 News

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It is true that my country has done a LOT of shitty things to indigenous peoples. Therefore, giving them representation in a sport born from their culture at an edition in our nation seems like a positive step forward in reconciliation.

How is "having them compite under a different flag" is giving them any representation?? I dont get that point

26 minutes ago, Jur said:

How is "having them compite under a different flag" is giving them any representation?? I dont get that point

It's quite literally giving them representation under their own flag as their own people (should they qualify). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Obviously this is a complete non-starter of an idea because of the precedent it would set if the Iroquois could compete independently.

If them then why not Catalunya?, why not Euskadi? Brittany, Corsica, Occitania, South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Scotland, Wales, the Falkland Islands/Malvinas, Tibet?

Quebec, the Navajo nation, Somaliland, Western Sahara? etc,etc,etc

4 hours ago, Dragon said:

Obviously this is a complete non-starter of an idea because of the precedent it would set if the Iroquois could compete independently.

If them then why not Catalunya?, why not Euskadi? Brittany, Corsica, Occitania, South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Scotland, Wales, the Falkland Islands/Malvinas, Tibet?

Quebec, the Navajo nation, Somaliland, Western Sahara? etc,etc,etc

Und Oberschlesien :old:

5 hours ago, Dragon said:

Ultimately, I think the IOC is going to be the one forced to say no. It doesn't seem like the U.S.. government/NOC or Canadian government/NOC want to risk the political blowback domestically. World Lacrosse doesn't seem to keen to intervene after the The World Games uproar. Of course, much can change in the lead up to the Games.

At present, I feel like it will come down to how much domestic support the IOC risks losing barring the Haudenosaunee from competing as a separate entity.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It's quite literally giving them representation under their own flag as their own people (should they qualify). 

Let them compete instead of the US team or the Canadian team. Just as England/Scotland represent UK in a number of team sports. Let Haudenosaunee represent USA (or Canada) in Lacrosse. 

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Ultimately, I think the IOC is going to be the one forced to say no. It doesn't seem like the U.S.. government/NOC or Canadian government/NOC want to risk the political blowback domestically. World Lacrosse doesn't seem to keen to intervene after the The World Games uproar. Of course, much can change in the lead up to the Games.

At present, I feel like it will come down to how much domestic support the IOC risks losing barring the Haudenosaunee from competing as a separate entity.

I could see a compromise where a Haudenosaunee team would play a ceremonial game to start off the tournament

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Becoming more and more clear Trump will ban some countries from the Olympics if he is president in 2028. Are the IOC ready to see countries like Iran banned from competing? 

Do you ever stop?