website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Lindsey Vonn scores comeback win in Garmisch-Partenkirchen downhill

http://f1.blick.ch/img/incoming/origs6090600/976556204-w644-h429/1484993090630.jpg

It was an emotional comeback for Lindsey Vonn at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, on Saturday in only her second race since returning from injury. The American proved to herself that she is still capable of collecting wins by posting the fasting run of the day, 0.15 seconds quicker than Swiss Lara Gut in second and 0.48 seconds speedier than home crowd favorite Viktoria Rebensburg in third. 

This World Cup victory, the 77th in Vonn's career, came a day after she struggled in the training run on the slope and missed what proved to be a critical gate to her success the following day.

"I didn’t really try very hard to make the gate yesterday. So I knew as long as I stood on it and I gave myself a little bit of extra room just so that I carried the speed through that section. It wasn’t really in my head too much," Vonn said. She teared up in the finish area immediately after seeing the green light. “It feels amazing. I just got to the bottom, and I cried. Worked really hard to come back and you know, I feel like sometimes I come back so quickly, everyone forgets how much time and energy, blood, sweat and tears it takes to come back without any training and just jump in there. And I had to trust myself and my team and my technician, and we all did our best and today was just amazing."

In Vonn's return to competition in Zauchensee, Austria, she finished 13th.

"I’m so happy, but it only took me two races to get back on the top step. I mean, honestly, I wasn’t sure after Zauchensee how long it would take me and I proved to myself today that all the work that I put in is really coming through," she concluded.

Although Gut had a slight mistake toward the bottom of the course, she was glad to pull off the close second-place finish, further demonstrating her podium consistency this season. It was the first downhill podium of her career at the German resort.

"I’m pretty happy because I know I can be close to the win all the time if I ski the way I can," Gut noted.

The German crowd was awed by Rebensburg's return to the downhill podium for the first time in a year, since the Garmisch-Partenkirchen race last season when she also finished third.

"I knew from the training that I felt pretty well down there, but the run didn’t feel that great beause I think it was faster than yesterday. So the turns were pushing way more than yesterday also. Then, I thought, I’m really down, but it was fast, I tried to keep the skis running, and yeah, I’m pretty happy about it," Rebensburg said. "I mean it’s always so nice to be on the podium. For sure, it’s been quite a while in downhill. I think it was maybe a year last time. I don’t know. So it’s super to be up on the podium again. For sure, now we [are at the] end of January, so I think it’s a good time also to be on the podium."

Rebensburg added that she hopes to carry this momentum into the upcoming FIS Alpine World Ski Championships which will be held in St. Mortiz, Switzerland, in February.

World Cup newcomer Kajsa Vickhoff Lie of Norway crashed toward the bottom of the course and had to be evacuated from the slope with a sled. She will be evaluated for what are suspected to be minor injuries. 

Full Results Here

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, selfie and closeup

Lindsey Vonn

Dominik Paris masters the Streif and celebrates thrid golden "Gams"

Výsledok vyhľadávania obrázkov pre dopyt dominik paris kitzbuhel podium

Kitzbuehel 2017 has its downhill winner, and his name is Dominik Paris. The Italian is ahead of the French duo Valentin Giraud-Moine and Johan Clarey.

It was a fantastic day on the Streif in Kitzbuehel ! The course presented itself in a perfect shape, the weather allowed to start from the very top with a bright sunshine and approximately 50’000 spectators came to watch the show on site. And as in 2013, Dominik Paris is the one standing at the very top of the podium.

“To win twice at the Hahnenkamm is an incredibly special and brilliant experience. I was lucky today, as some of my competitors didn’t handle the Hausberg section as well as I did – that is what decided the race at the end of the day. Let’s see if we can top the party of 2013.”

In second place, Valentin Giraud Moine surprised everyone and confirmed his talent on one of the toughest course in the world. The 24 years old skier was in the spotlight in Kvitfjell last year, where he skied to second position, and the 4th place in the second training was definitively a hint for his excellent feeling on the Streif.

"I felt confident after the summer. I was not very lucky at the start of the season but now is is paying off and I am really happy to make a good run today and I am really, really, happy to make it here in Kitzbuehel. It's the most dangerous race in the world and it's incredible to be here."

His teammate Johan Clarey has more experience already, as he has been on the circuit for twelve years already and mastered the Streif eight times. So much experience, that he even considered retiring with three career podiums in Kvitfjell (2nd in 2014) and Val Gardena (3rd in 2013 and 2009).

"I've had some good results here; I was fourth last year and fifth a few years ago. I said to myself last year when I was fourth, 'You have to be on the podium.' I was almost retired at the end of last season and I said to myself that I have to do one more season to live Kitzbuehel again and weeks like this and now I'm on the podium. I'm speechless. We are two French on the podium, it's the best day I have lived on the World Cup circus."

The speed events are now over on the Streif and tomorrow the zick-zack skiers will take over the Ganslern hill for a slalom starting at 10.30 CET for the first run and 13.30 CET for the decisive run.

Full Results Here

Dominik Paris

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Sounds as if some bet went south. :p

Nope :p

I like Feuz and Janka and am always happy when they perform well...Feuz was incredibly fast (0,72s faster than Paris with one and a half turn to go), but went too deep on the Hausbergkante and crashed :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Cancelled ladies‘ Alpine combined from Altenmarkt-Zauchensee (AUT) to be rescheduled in Crans-Montana (SUI)

This is to inform you that the cancelled ladies‘ AUDI FIS Ski World Cup Alpine combined from Altenmark-Zauchensee (AUT) will be rescheduled in Crans-Montana (SUI) on Friday, 24th February 2017, starting time at 11:00/14:30 CET.

Hirscher wins his 20th Slalom - Ryding writes GBR's history

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2yH2MKWEAEzoyg.jpg

Another amazing day concluded the Hahnenkamm race week in Kitzbuehel, with a thrilling slalom on the Ganslern course. Marcel Hirscher earned his 20th slalom win ahead of Great Britain’s Dave Ryding and Russia’s Alexander Khoroshilov.

The challenging course saw a bunch of top athletes putting an early end to their chase for podium placements, as for example Henrik Kristoffersen, Manfred Moelgg, André Myhrer didn’t make it to the finish line. The door was now wide open for the other athletes, and Great Britain’s Dave Ryding created the surprise by setting the fastest time of first run.

Only 9th in the first leg, +1.02 seconds off the pace, Austira’s Marcel Hirscher knew he had to push the limits in the second run. Especially as it was clear that Kristoffersen wouldn’t score points on that day. So he risked it all and laid down the best performance in every single section of the course, to finally claim his 20th slalom win in career and a second “Goldene Gams” after his win in 2013 in Kitzbuehel.

"You know, after the first run, that was for sure not what I was looking for. So often in this season so far, the first runs are not my best ones, maybe too much thinking of making points (for the overall). I don't know. Between the runs, I was thinking about what I can do to be faster in the second run. At the end, it was the complete trust in myself to take the risk. Before second run, we discussed it; take the risk, it doesn't matter if I ski out or not. It is racing and not a tactical game."

By topping the first run, Dave Ryding proved that he is ready for his first career podium and close to write history for Great Britain, as no British skier has ever won a World Cup race and the last podium goes back to 1981. He was able to stay focused and to repeat a fantastic performance in the second run, claiming his best career result (previously a 6th place in Levi at the beginning of the season).

"I never even dreamed it. It's so far beyond my dream that it's just like, 'Is this really happening? Am I really doing this in Kitzbuehel, of all places?' It's incredible, I'm speechless. Crossing the line, I couldn't believe it; it was just so cool that it really happened. Coming down into second felt like a win. I had two runs where I really did exactly what I wanted. I just hope it inspires a whole generation now and we can take from this, like, it's been so long since a Brit was in the top ten -- never mind a podium. All the Brits out there, it's time to go and we can do it."

The third place goes to Russia’s Alexander Khoroshilov, who earns his second podium this season (after his 3rd place in Val d’Isère) and his eight podium in career. So far, the Schladming winner of 2015 had never been on the podium on the Kitzbueheler Ganslernhang and his particularly happy to finally achieve this feat this year.

"I've had some injuries before, but now I am in good shape. I am really happy to be on the podium every time and it's amazing, especially in Kitzbuehel. It's a quite difficult slope and also, you need some experience to ski fast here. I think it's almost impossible to beat Marcel, he is really fast. Every time second run he is pushing like hell. I tried also, but I made some mistakes on the top, so it was not easy to catch him. Congrats to him and especially Dave also."

There will not be much time to rest for the men’s World Cup Tour, as the next race is scheduled on Tuesday in Schladming, where the Night Race will celebrate his 20th anniversary.

Full Results Here

Dave Ryding 1st Run

Marcel Hirscher 2nd Run

Dave Ryding 2nd Run