website statistics

AIN athletes qualification for Paris 2024 Olympic Games and reallocation of quotas [updated 26.06] Road to Paris 2024

On 6/1/2024 at 1:21 AM, avlar said:

Sports Athlete(s) Discipline Possible Reallocation NOC IOC Decision
Taekwondo Vladislav Larin Men's +80 kg Ray Rahi (?) :LBN Reallocation to another NOC

Vladislav Larin qualified for the Games through the WTF Grand Slam Rankings but declined the invitation.

:UZB Nikita Rafalovich will replace him as the next highest-ranked taekwondo player in the WTF Olympic Rankings.

From the "Sports Examiner" newsletter

Russian wrestlers to decide whether to go to Paris on 19 June

Following up on the IOC’s announcement of 14 Russian athletes approved to be “neutral” athletes at the 2024 Paris Olympic Games – including 10 wrestlers – the head of the Russian wrestling federation said a decision on whether to accept the invitations to compete will be decided on Wednesday. Mikhail Mamiashvili told the Russian news agency TASS:

“We have a decision deadline of June 20, so we will meet with the teams and coaches on the 19th. In general, taking into account who was admitted, the composition is far from optimal, but nevertheless we are able to perform well. We'll decide.

“In order to convince our friends, including those who supported us, who said that it was unacceptable to limit us artificially and succumb to political pressure through IOC sanctions in the form of their recommendations, we went all this way. By doing this, we showed that people, those who usurped power showed complete disregard for the position of the United World Wrestling.

“We took this path, the UWW created a commission. Even I, the vice-president of this organization, do not know the names of the lawyers and other figures who were included in it. It is completely independent of any influence of mine.”

TASS reports confirmed that Russia submitted for approval Tokyo Olympic champions Zaur Uguev (57 kg) and Abdulrashid Sadulayev (97 kg), but both were rejected as insufficiently “neutral.” Artur Naifonov, the Tokyo bronze winner at 86 kg was apparently also considered, but was not confirmed.

In taekwondo, no Russian athletes will compete, according to coach Vadim Ivanov, who told TASS:

“I received information from the president of the Russian Taekwondo Union that Russian taekwondo athletes will not compete at the Olympics. The IOC’s decision not to admit our athletes causes me nothing but regret.”

Russia won four medals in the sport in Tokyo, with Maxim Khramtsov (80 kg) and Vladislav Larin (+80 kg) taking gold medals, plus a bronze for Mikhail Artamonov (58 kg) and a silver for Tatyana Minina in the women’s 57 kg class.

Protests against Khramtsov and Larin were lodged by Ukrainian sources, who said they supported the Russian war effort against Ukraine.

Looking ahead already to the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, Russian weightlifting federation chief Maxim Agapitov cast doubt on whether a team will be sent, telling TASS:

“I wouldn’t speculate on this topic, because the world is changing very quickly. The United States sees the enemy in us and is setting up everyone else; they want to inflict a strategic defeat on our sport for at least the last eight years. And now we see how their tactical unsportsmanlike behavior is emerging, aimed precisely at destroying our values, destroying our system of training athletes built over the years, discrediting, creating a negative image.

“Given the current situation, it is difficult to believe that it will change quickly in 2028. But, on the other hand, the world is rapidly rushing and changing, so I will not rule anything out. We miss the Olympic Movement that we know, which we created together someday, together with all continents, with all federations, with all countries, perhaps a miracle will happen and we will really be together.”

6 hours ago, MantaRaymarc said:

Vladislav Larin qualified for the Games through the WTF Grand Slam Rankings but declined the invitation.

:UZB Nikita Rafalovich will replace him as the next highest-ranked taekwondo player in the WTF Olympic Rankings.

+ World Taekwondo confirmed quota for Nikita Rafalovich 

17 minutes ago, mard0n said:

+ World Taekwondo confirmed quota for Nikita Rafalovich 

6 hours ago, MantaRaymarc said:

Thank you! The tables are updated. Any direct link to the WTF full list reallocation?

55 minutes ago, avlar said:

Thank you! The tables are updated. Any direct link to the WTF full list reallocation?

35 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Where is it officially confirmed? Do you have a link?

Unfortunately, I do not have information on the remaining athletes. World Taekwondo sent confirmations to the NOCs and Federations. I think they will post information soon

4 hours ago, Майкл said:

:SRB Quotas for Takov and Korneev confrimed by Olympic Committee of Serbia

5 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

:CZE Dominika Hronová officially confirmed by Czech Olympic committee 

6 hours ago, mard0n said:

Unfortunately, I do not have information on the remaining athletes. World Taekwondo sent confirmations to the NOCs and Federations. I think they will post information soon

My congratulations! I strongly believed that these reallocations would happen. And this came true.