website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

@OlympicsFanWell, let's see if Mihambo injury woes continue into 2024. USA doesn't have a Reese type jumper either. Vuleta isn't blind, the overall level of LJ has dropped compared to the 2010s. Germany still have some push in the javelin but the track events have completely folded. Nothing in 400/800 or hurdles. Compared to the early 1990s when I started watching athletics Germany has regressed the most out of European countries (followed by France). Meanwhile countries like Netherlands and Italy are maximizing their chances and winning more medals than expected.

Difficult to lead a discussion when you can't even quote (i don't get a message that you quoted me and therefore might not reply, which surely wasn't your goal).

Track events were never really "a thing" in western/unified Germany. I think the last global champions were Baumann (caught doping) and Schumann (some rumors as well). If Germany would have continued to use the GDR doping knowledge, they would now be much more competitive. Instead german coaches went to countries like GB or China to continue their dop... training. Actually Germany hasn't been as good in the 400 m hurdles as they are today (although 2 of their 3 best guys are injured right now), but you are right about the other events. Italy also had a big downturn (same as Spain) after they were pretty good in running in the 1990s/2000s. Then those countries had some doping trouble (in running/cycling), which lead to them "laying low" for a while (and some of their officials going to african countries for example), but now they seem to be back. I think the situation in finish cross-country skiing is comparable. The Netherlands and GB didn't have that "burden", so they had less reservations using performance enhancing drugs. GB used to be insanely bad in sports until 2000 or so, but then they completely exploded and even all the stories around team Sky, Dwain Chambers Paula Radcliffe didn't really hurt them.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, phelps said:

where? when? :mumble:

and please, don't tell me "in Tokyo", as it was just an exception, when we had 3 medal candidates and we came home with 5 gold medals (and only in athletics, because in the other sports we didn't maximize anything also in those "happy days" of 2021)

Tokyo was probably the biggest overperformance any country ever had in athletics (you can look at past olympics and tell me how often any european country won 5 golds). How much more do you expect? At this point everyone knows that you can't judge anything related to italian sports objectively.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I love how everyone from every country always feels like their country is performing badly. Which is just impossible, because if every country performs badly, we're going to be left with medals that aren't won by anyone :p 

It isn't impossible, unless you use the number of medals to define good/bad. The actual performances matter as well. In the end every country always will have some athletes overperforming and some athletes underperforming and it depends how you weigh those two groups.

One random thought: maybe I am biased because I was there, but I think the logo of these Worlds is one of the best ever. It feels very memorable to me, by far the best we had for a big sport event in Hungary. It feels more timeless than the modern logos.