website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics UEG European Championships 2023

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

So @Rafa Maciel does this mean that @Phelps admits that even a below strength :GBR team is better than :ITA ?  ;)

I guess my take on this is that on the women's side, GB are benefiting from an improving Italy and vice versa - it's pushing both teams to get better and better and they know that there is a potential medal up for grabs in Paris. I would say that both teams rely on their big names performing and perhaps GB have an edge in terms of the depth of squad available - shown by the great performance from Beckie Downie on the uneven bars.

The British men are stronger than Italy but the squad that we have taken to Turkey isn't our strongest so Italy taking the gold was a fair reflection of the teams current status. GB really need Joe Fraser and Giarnni Regini Moran to be fully fit and more consistent performances from Jake Jarman. Add in Courtney Tulloch and the possible return of Max Whitlock and that is a pretty solid team with medal potential across multiple events. 

The one benefit for GB at the moment is that having got their Olympic qualification in the bag last year, this is a free year for them - so everyone that needs to is going under the surgeon's knife now and/or reworking their routines to increase degree of difficulty. 

10 hours ago, phelps said:

:cry:

tbh, very disappointing performance by our girls (they scored almost 166 points last week in the Jesolo Trophy vs the Americans -tbh, a 3rd tier team from the USA).

as usual, the balance beam was a disaster with falls, mistakes and low D scores to start.

even at the floor, which is supposed to be one of our strong apparatus, we had a lot of troubles (we couldn't even use the 4th girl) and mistakes.

well deserved loss, in the end.

hopefully our media will stop overexposing these girls. they are good, but not that good as they are depicted.

or maybe not...our media usually never learn from their capital mistakes. :facepalm:

True of much of the media everywhere.

7 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I guess my take on this is that on the women's side, GB are benefiting from an improving Italy and vice versa - it's pushing both teams to get better and better and they know that there is a potential medal up for grabs in Paris. I would say that both teams rely on their big names performing and perhaps GB have an edge in terms of the depth of squad available - shown by the great performance from Beckie Downie on the uneven bars.

The British men are stronger than Italy but the squad that we have taken to Turkey isn't our strongest so Italy taking the gold was a fair reflection of the teams current status. GB really need Joe Fraser and Giarnni Regini Moran to be fully fit and more consistent performances from Jake Jarman. Add in Courtney Tulloch and the possible return of Max Whitlock and that is a pretty solid team with medal potential across multiple events. 

The one benefit for GB at the moment is that having got their Olympic qualification in the bag last year, this is a free year for them - so everyone that needs to is going under the surgeon's knife now and/or reworking their routines to increase degree of difficulty. 

I pretty much agree with that assessment. Little to choose between the two countries women's teams when at full strength, while the GB men are clearly stronger than Italy at this stage subject to the same proviso about both teams being at full strength.

In the absence of the men you mentioned this was the least experienced men's team I can recall in a very long time. Jarman only made his breakthrough last year, Tulloch - while experienced - only competes on rings and vault, leaving the other three competing in their first major international event.

Edited by Nickyc707