website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

1 minute ago, Oldira said:

How will athletes feel about no crowds? I am sure the majority will barely notice. The experience wont be the same but surely most athletes only care about the actual competition. The days of Olympic 'tourists' in the Olympic village are long gone. In any case TV audiences will still be enormous. 

Well, I guess most of them is used to it by this point. It's sad, but it's not a big surprise. But that's definitely a major failure from Japan – as @nenadsaid, it's unbelievable how a country so rich and so developed could basically fuck up vaccinations so much. 

I am unashamed, at getting nothing done.

8 minutes ago, Oldira said:

How will athletes feel about no crowds? I am sure the majority will barely notice. The experience wont be the same but surely most athletes only care about the actual competition. The days of Olympic 'tourists' in the Olympic village are long gone. In any case TV audiences will still be enormous. 

I think athletes are used to that are no crowds, if anything, they are too used to it, and some of them would have likely been intimidated by a huge crowd at the Games, just like how football players at EURO 2020 said that they forgot what it feels like to play in a full stadium.  

This is more about the Games as a TV product, because it will certainly feel lifeless compared to what audiences are used to when they watch the Games. 

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I think it have a big impact on Tennis and maybe Golf where I can see quite a lot of late withdrawals and the tournament struggling to replace them.  Everyone else will still attend because appearing is better than nothing. 

I don't think so, especially in golf. It can be seen that golfists thinking about olympics changed, and also watching golf on-site is neither comfortable nor that important to athletes. 

I am unashamed, at getting nothing done.

33 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I suspect that will be the case. It would suit the Government as it protects them for a backlash.

If they do have crowds and it backfires I can see the Paralympics getting cancelled.

:d:lol:

so you still have the job, what's the plan after the Paralympics ? will you see Beijing 2022 WOG getting cancelled too ? or Paris 2024 ?

What's important now isn't what will happen with the spectators, it's that they will find a way to contain it because this can be the start of the next wave in Japan. They have hit a low point in new cases a few weeks ago, this is usually the point where things start to go bad again in undervaccinated countries. 

But as we saw with Brazil and Copa America, you can have a big international event under quite bad circumstances. It just might be political suicide. 

So it's officially going to be the "silent Olympics". 

I hope they will find some ways for the audience to interact with the athletes. I liked it a lot when the winners at the Aquatics ECh got to see a short clip of their family members after their finals. They will need gimmicks like that at the Games to make it feel less depressing.