website statistics

Swimming 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

37 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Apparently :HKG Siobhan Haughey is an elite 100m breaststroker now. 1:06.05 tonight at the US open 15 minutes after swimming a 1:54.20 200m freestyle.

Also reaches the OQS, although she probably won’t swim it at Paris. 

I have some sombre news for the Canadians here but Matt Temple just stole Josh Liendo's 100 fly Commonwealth record after clocking 50.25 at Japan Open :yikes:

http://swim.seiko.co.jp/en/2023/S70704/ranking/eng04R094.pdf

It was a quite fruitful meet with lots of PBs from the Aussies including a national record by Sam Williamson in the 50 breast (26.51).

On 12/9/2023 at 3:56 PM, dullard said:

Kaylee got close her the 50 back WR today clocking 26.98 leading off a relay so maybe we're on 100 back WR watch again this week.

It was not to be. Maybe the 200 free PB earlier in the session took it out of her so she could "only" go 57.79.

Mollie put on a bit of a show in the 200 free going 1:54.36. It's gonna take a WR to beat her in Paris and even that might not be enough.

Iona Anderson (100BK) and Thomas Neill (200FR) both earned themselves Doha QTs. Kaylee did as well (200FR) but she's already ruled out going.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Werloc said:

Rūta Meilutytė confirmed today at the Lithuanian sports awards, that she will be preparing for the Paris Olympics.

I wonder if she'll be able to contend for a medal in the 100m.

I just already assumed that she is going to Paris. She is at this stage the favourite as reigning world champion. Is she skipping 2024 Doha Worlds?

10 hours ago, dullard said:

I just already assumed that she is going to Paris. She is at this stage the favourite as reigning world champion. Is she skipping 2024 Doha Worlds?

I wasn't entirely sure, because she is taking it event after event, not committing to everything. She had multiple interviews saying that she hasn't decided if she's taking part and that's why the journalists asked her yesterday to confirm.

There was also a good chance she was not participating if Russia was at the Olympics, since she is a huge activist for Ukraine and had a viral video of her swimming in "blood" where they dyed a lake red for a day. 

I believe she is attending Doha though, that's why she skipped the short-course Euros.